|11|Game Night

I've been hearing symphonies
Before all I heard was silence
A rhapsody for you and me
And every melody is timeless
♥♥♥

WE LAZED ABOUT, ALL THROUGH the late Saturday afternoon after my shift ended. I missed home so much. I called mum regularly and even got to speak to Beck whenever she was around, which was almost all the time. They were family, and there was nothing like family.

There was a knock on the door. I jumped out of bed and pulled the crystal knob. "Sally?" I blinked and stuffed my head back into the room to look at the clock.

"It's 5pm." I said the obvious. I had no problem with her being here, quite the contrary. But I had a lot of assignments to complete and Sally was one those who never took a hint.

"Repeat what you just said," I bit my lips.

"You are coming to the game with us," She grabbed my hands and squealed.

I frowned, "Us?"

"Shane and I,"

I shook my head, "Sorry, I'll have to pass,"

"I'll drop Shane if you are not cool with him tagging along," She suggested and I winced at the hurt I heard in there. Guilt scratched it's nasty claws at me and it only intensified after she pouted.

"Okay fine, I'll go get ready." I drawled, gritting my teeth.

She slammed her body into mine in a rather painful hug, "We're going to have the best girl's night out ever." She released me.

Was she always this hyper? I thought as she followed me into the room.

Penny looked up from her calculus text book, "Hi," She fixed her gaze on Sally.

I figured it was time for an introduction, "Sally this is Penny, my roommate. Penny this is Sally,"

Sally looked at her intently and dropped on her bed, "So watchya doing?"

I took it as my cue and dashed into the closet to get changed into lose black tights and an extra large beetles shirt. I tied my shoulder length hair with a ribbon strap and headed out. Penny dashed into the closet as I got out.

"Wait, what's going on?"

Sally appeared beside me, "I just finished lecturing your roommate on how important this game is to me." she said innocently.

I laughed, "She guilt tripped you, didn't she?"

Penny nodded, "In a way. She also made it clear that if the world ended today I would be stuck with a calculus textbook under my nose." She joined in my laughter.

"Come on nerds we are already late." Shirley chirped.

"We are not nerds," I huffed out.

She met my eyes with a challenge, "Oh really?

"Yes," Penny said, coming out of the closet. Her onyx dress shirt was no more. In it's place was a lilac sweater and brown leather slacks.

It was a good thing we were allowed to wear muftis after classes hours and on weekends. Not that I had many house dresses but because spending a lot of hours in the uniform was so uncomfortable.

Penny rolled her eyes, "You're not nerds, huh? Six thousand and fifty three plus zero times zero plus two point thirty three,"

I flicked my hand "That's easy, it's two-"

"point thirty three," Penny finished off with a satisfied smile.

"Exactly what I'm talking about. I don't even remember what I just spewed out but you guys already have an answer," Sally reached for Penny's hand and mine as she walked us out, a light laugh coming out of her lips, "You guys are going to have so much fun," She promised as Shane's helpless face came into view.