Vampire on the Lose

Title: Vampire on the Lose
Author: Rikke95
Type: original fantasy story
Reason: writing contest entry
Note: I have a writing contests up and first place winners get their story featured in this book, so here's the winner for the vampire prompt.

There was no one in the park but a man who appeared to be reading a newspaper. The girl stopped on her tracks and glanced at her, the greenery was already charcoal and two dimensional and the grey path was melting into the night.

The girl then went on walking but she couldn't help but think that there was something wrong with that man and then it hit her. There were no lights near that bench so how did he even see the print?

She resolved though to walk quickly but her eyes repeatedly flicked to the man and eventually turned around and walked closer to him only to find out that the man was gone.
The girl, a young woman of around twenty-five years with long and ginger hair looked around for a while but the man seemed to be nowhere to be seen.

Thinking that she had just imagined his presence, she decided it was better to keep walking. She had a party to attend if she didn't want to be fired from the journal she worked for.

And that was when she saw him again.
The man was right in front of her, at the light of the lamppost he looked even more paler and it seemed that his eyes were glistering of a bright yellow. His black hair looked ruffled and few locks fell over his forehead, gently shifted by the light breeze and when he grinned a canine appeared through his perfect teeth.
He grabbed the girl by her waist and started to lean closer.

A month earlier

Wednesday, 5th October
9.27AM

It was a typical November morning in Hampstead, the rich village situated at north of London, the freezing fog wrapped around the still sleeping town like a blanket, swooping in and suffocating every building and every tree at their base, swallowing every distant object and vanishing around every corner.

The entire town looked so grey and dull it almost seemed as if it belonged to a black and white movie or an old fashioned comic strip.
It crept round St. John's church, its silent footsteps tiptoeing around each gravestone in the churchyard, passing them one by one, before finally coming to rest at the foot of a man around his thirties.

He was wearing a long coat of an anonymous dove gray colour which he kept wrapped around himself to protect – or at least to try and protect – himself from the cold, a hat covering his jet black hair and half his face.

"Same modus operandi?" He asked, his voice hoarse and deep, his gaze casted down on the corpse of a young woman laying on the cold ground, lifeless, her auburn hair scattered in multiple places, her emerald green eyes wide open and dull, staring the grey clouds in the sky without though seeing them. Her skin looked deadly pale and her lips of a dark hue of blue, probably due to the cold of the night.

"Oh good day, Inspector Preston. Well, the victim looks like the previous one, same auburn hair, same green eyes, same pale complexion... a typical English beauty indeed." It was an old man with scruffy white hair who replied, he was crouching near the corpse, a pencil in his gloved hands which he was using to point the elements he was talking about. "Plus the victim has the same signs on her neck." The man added as he moved his pencil to indicate the bruise on the girl's neck. It looked like a injection except that there were four sign of puncture instead of one. "I will have to make more tests to very this in my laboratory but I'm quite sure the killer is the same who killed the other two girls." He concluded.