Chapter 1 - Hanging Around

(Click the video above for the audiobook version of this chapter!)

It was just a typical Tuesday afternoon at Havensdale School and Sixth Form College. Some of the kids from year 7 were running carelessly around the courtyard in the brisk, January air and the sound of their laughter billowed in through the open window. The older sixth form students were hurrying between lessons or busy working on their latest pieces of coursework. And as for me...

I was hanging from a coat hook in the boys' P.E. changing rooms.

I know it's hard to believe that something so embarrassing could happen to a fully grown seventeen-year-old, but there you have it. It was happening. I was strung up by my collar like a piece of meat at a butcher's shop and there was literally nothing I could do to get myself down.

My hands had been bound tightly behind my back with some spare rope from the P.E. cupboard. So tight in fact, that my wrists were starting to ache from the friction burn. I had been certain that if I struggled about enough I'd eventually shimmy myself loose, but after ten minutes or so I realised it wasn't happening. My feet were flailing helplessly above the floor and thrashing them around wasn't helping me in the slightest.

In the end, I decided to accept my fate and simply hung there limply in the pitch-darkness, waiting for someone to come and find me.

I took a deep breath in and then out again. Maybe it wasn't so bad. Some stressed out students would probably have killed for such a moment of calm in their hectic, overworked days. Also, I was only missing a maths lesson and I felt pretty on top of all my work there.

I tried to convince myself that this was not the most excruciating moment of my life, but a nice bit of thoroughly needed relaxation time. If I could just block out the stink of sweat in the changing room and ignore the fact that I was seriously starting to need the loo, then perhaps I could actually enjoy the peace and quiet.

I closed my eyes and imagined a serene ocean scene. I had to remain calm. This was a busy school building and someone was bound to find me sooner or later. There was no point in getting myself into a panic for no reason. If I was lucky I might even be rescued by the next group of hot, half-naked upper sixth boys who needed to use the changing rooms.

Only there were no hot, half-naked boys to come to my aid. Or any person in general for that matter. I was left hanging in the darkness for what felt like an eternity. I kept calling out for help as loudly as I could, but the soundproof doors of the changing room blocked out my feeble attempts of getting anyone's attention.

Time spiralled away into the ether. I started to sing out loud in an attempt to keep myself sane, opting ironically for the classic anthem "I Will Survive" by Gloria Gaynor.

Just as I was mentally preparing for the ridicule that would ensue if I accidentally wet myself, I heard a light rap on the door.

"Hey, is anyone in there? I'm looking for Scotty."

My heart did a backflip of sheer relief. It was Olive, my very best friend.

"Olly! I'm in here! Help me!"

There was a pounding sound as Olive tried the door, only to discover it was locked. "Scotty, what's going on? I can't open the door. Did it happen again?!"

Oh right. I probably should have mentioned that this isn't the first time this had happened to me. I'd been hauled up on a coat hook once before, only that time I had somehow managed to get myself down again. This time I hadn't been so lucky.

"Hang on a minute!"

There was a short pause, followed by the sound of clinking keys as Olive began unlocking the door. She was the head girl of the sixth form and, as a result, had access to the school key cupboard in case of emergencies. I guess this may have been classed as an emergency.