New Friend, Old Problem

Zelda's eyes were bright as they fell upon the scarlet arches of Kakariko Village. The village children playing in the grass stood in disbelief at the girl accompanying Link with the same description of the Hylian Princess. Gradually as they rode through, the residents filed from their homes to witness a return one hundred years overdue. The town began clapping as Link and Zelda dismounted and entered Impa's dwelling. Zelda smiled and waved all the while as Link rushed inside with a hint of blush on his face.

It appeared evident that Zelda, although isolated for a century, had not lost her popularity with the people. The duo walked up the steps, grinning ear to ear all the while. She would converse with the others after she had spoken with an old companion of hers. The doors behind them squeaked shut and sat there was a short older woman on a square cushion. The woman's smile was tucked under her hat. She said not a word. The silence spoke in volumes. It was a standoff. Who was finally going to break the centuries old silence? Who better to break silence than Zelda herself?

She inhaled from her diaphragm, holding her breath within her chest, "I knew I would see you again."

Zelda's emerald eyes were glassy as she smiled, placing a fist to her chest. She had the expression of wisdom itself, along with all of the pain that came with it.

Link was surrounded by his remaining comrades. He wanted to say everything, yet a piece of him resorted to saying nothing at all. It was a beautiful moment and, as reckless as he was, he knew there would not be another one like it for the rest of time.

Impa finally spoke. Zelda could have sworn she actually saw a glistening tear on that strong woman's face, but perhaps she was just hallucinating.

"You look taller than when I last remembered you."
Zelda smiled a melancholy smile, "Well, it has been one hundred years, after all."

Link expected them to reconnect instantly-neither one of them had lost their memory, yet there seemed to be an air of distance between them.

Impa grinned at Link, "Silent as always," her eyes flashed at Zelda, she cupped the side of her mouth to whisper loudly, "You'd better keep a boy like him before my granddaughter does."

Zelda became very interested in the wall beside her all of a sudden, focusing her flushed face in all of the grains of dark wood. Link, however, fidgeted with his hands while looking down, biting his cheeks in a futile attempt to suppress a smile.

Clshh!

Link dropped his expression, instinctively pulling the Master Sword from its scabbard.

"Oh! Par-pardon me, Mas-ster Lin...k! And Prin-cess Zel-da!"

Zelda's blood coursed like ice through her veins as she witnessed the previously unseen paranoia of her knight.

His face gradually softened at the sight of a girl cowering in the remains of a broken tea set.

"Oh, it's good to see you, Paya." Link bowed his head to her after sheathing his sword.

That statement now turned Zelda's blood to a boil, yet she refused to ask herself why.

"Paya, we haven't met before," Zelda plastered a smile over her face, "It is a pleasure meeting you!"

The white-haired girl squeaked, "You too...Princ-ess!"

Zelda could clearly see why Link and Paya were friends...aren't they?

After the two girls introduced themselves, Link helped Paya pick up the broken china.

"Don't hurt yourself! I-I'll pick them up. My mis-stake."

"No, no, I wouldn't want you to cut your finger."

Impa raised her eyebrows at Zelda before saying, "Well, aren't you going to do something? It'd be a shame to just give Link to my granddaughter."

"Paya? Your granddaughter?," Her eyes widened, "Here! I shall get you both a broom. Forgive my delay!"

Impa was left with an expression of endearment on her face. Nothing has changed in one hundred years. Zelda will always be chasing after that little blonde Hylian.