Chapter 12- Always

Jake

I chose heart. I'm too much of a coward to tell her now. I just can't. Maybe if she learns to love me, she will stay. 

"Good morning, Charming," a quiet, sweet voice says behind me.

"Good morning, Cinderella." 

I turn around and grin at her and she smiles back.

"Um," I scratch the back of my neck nervously, "I was wondering if you would like to go on a date with me?" I get out without stuttering.

She stares at me, dumbfounded for a minute, "like an actual date?" She asks in disbelief.

"Uh, yeah," I say, a little unsure.

"It's okay, I don't need any pity, you've done enough for me." She says, taking my hesitation as me rethinking my answer.

"No! I really think I'm starting to like you. In a deeper way. I want to show you how special you are. Please, just one date," I plead with her. She looks shocked, to say the least.

"Um, okay, it sounds like fun." 

She gives me a small smile.

"Really? Okay! Um dress in something a little fancy, but nothing too special. We will leave at 7." 

I'm taking Brittney to my new club, where I know it will be safe. With my life, you never know when you're going to be attacked. It's hard, but you learn to live with it. And everybody knows I'm the boss around here. I only have one rival mafia in the area, and they run a bunch of gangs that are always getting in trouble. I can't wipe the smile off my face as Brittney leaves. I check to make sure she leaves and do a little fist pump. I'm sure it felt out of the blue for her, and honestly it kind of is. I haven't known her long, but this is not a normal story anyways. Tonight is going to change everything for us. If it goes well.

-----------------

At 7 o'clock sharp I see Brittney slowly, hesitantly, stepping down the hallway and my jaw drops. She looks beautiful in the blue dress that I bought her; the name Cinderella really does fit her. But Cinderella doesn't have anything on Brittney. Not a damn thing. Her eyes widen as she shamelessly takes me in from head to toe, making me smirk.

"You look gorgeous." 

She looks at me shyly and gives me a small smile.

"You don't look too bad yourself Charming." She remarks, making my smirk turn into a smile.

Not many people get to see that smile. 

"Ready to go princess?"

She snorts, "I'm not a princess, far from it actually..." She started off in a joking manner but slowly she faded into her own thoughts.

"True, you can throw a punch that no princess can," I say, snapping her out if her thoughts and bringing that beautiful smile back to her face.

"Yes, I'm ready to go Charming." 

She hooks her arm through mine without hesitation and we start on our journey to the club.

-------------------

"I still can't believe you got us into a private area." She says in awe, making me chuckle. 

I decided not to tell her that I own this place. Not yet anyway.

"Only the best for you," I say honestly. 

I'd like to be the one to give her what she deserves, if she will let me. It's weird; the way I started feeling like this so quickly--it's been a few months since I first met her, and a couple since she came to live with me. A million beautiful women have stepped in front of me before, but the one that punched me in the face turned out to be the one that got my attention. 

"Thank you so much Charming, I know that I can trust you now, and I'm so close to trusting you, I promise." 

My heart clenches, knowing that our relationship, whatever that may be, is built on secrets. Bad secrets.

"You have no idea how happy I am to hear that." 

I give her a small smile and she returns it. We sit there, staring into each other's eyes, but it's not awkward. The waiter comes and breaks up our moment when she sets our food in front of us. I can see Brittney eyeing the food hungrily, but it seems like she's restraining herself. I chuckle and shake my head, picking up my fork. As soon as I take my first bite, she digs in.

"Wow! This is amazing!" She says as she swallows.

I look at her in awe. The fact that she can find a simple steak and fries is amazing. To me, this is mediocre food. I don't really know what Brittney's life was like but guessing by the fact that she can't really trust anyone, flinches every time I tried to touch her (for a while anyway), and finds such simple food amazing, it wasn't a good, happy one. The whole slavery thing is another, more obvious, clue. It makes me mad just thinking about it. I shove another fork full of steak into my mouth, nodding.

We spend the rest of the night exchanging light conversation. It was a good time, and I'm sad that it's over as we stand outside of her bedroom door.

"Thank you so much, Jake," I love the way my name sounds rolling off her tongue, "I had so much fun tonight."

"You're welcome, I had fun too." 

Her eyebrows shoot up in surprise.

"Really?" She asks in disbelief.

"Yes really, you're a lot of fun to be around." 

She nods slowly like she agrees, but her face shows a different story. I slowly wrap my arms around her, and she flinches slightly but doesn't pull away. I draw her nearer to me and she slowly relaxes and wraps her arms around my neck. She rests her head on my chest and sighs.

"You are fun to be around Brittney, you lighten the world around you just by smiling. You brightened my world so much just by being a friend to come home to every day, and you don't even know it." She looks up at me with a small smile on her face.

"That's exactly what I needed to hear, good night, Charming." 

She whispers before pulling away.

"Goodnight," I say to her retreating figure.

Tonight, was one of the best nights of my life.

************************************

I AM SO SORRY I HAVEN'T POSTED IN LIKE FOREVER!!!! I was on a Washington D.C. trip and we had no time at all to go on our phones, you woke up, walked all day, got back to the hotel, showered, fell asleep, and repeated the next day. But I finally got back and wrote this. So tell me what you think!