Nora's Preparation

ELEONORA L. MEYERS
Valencia, Espanya
Ravenscave

-●-

She's looking outside the window again like most days since we arrived here in the manor. I tried every thing I could think of to reach out to her and most often than not, she ignore me and locked herself to her own world.

"Ciel?" I called out but there was no response. Well, it's usual. And I didn't expect as much.

I got up from my chair and went to her side

I got up from my chair and went to her side. "Are you alright, child?"

"Yes, ma'am." She replied softly. And I was very delighted to hear her voice.

"You're having that distant look again. I know it's hard for you to be here so if you need anything, just tell me. And don't call me ma'am, that makes me feel like a stern school teacher." I jest and laughed a little.

But this has no effect on her. She sat straight and lowered her head, refusing to meet my gaze.

"I could bring you home." I said a serious tone.

"No!" She yelled. In an instant, tears filled her eyes as she stared bravely at me.

"Oh, I'm sorry dear. It's alright, I won't." I assured but I didn't touch her.

Physical contact with this beautiful girl is a big deal. Days on the streets and relying only to the mercies of strangers are traumatic. And I understand that life has taught her not to trust anyone so easily. This child is broken but she won't ask nor let anyone help her.

She wiped her tears with the back of her hand and sniffed. "My friend died."

I wasn't sure if I heard her right or if she talked at all. But since I heard it, I have to say something.

"I'm sorry." I said.

"She was my only friend." She added. "She was my provider. She protected me."

Now, she's crying again. And this time, I put my arm around her small shoulder and comforts her.

"I'm sure whoever this friend wanted you to be happy." I said softly.

"No. She must hate me for leaving her when she needed me most. She was there fighting all alone while I have to run and save myself."

I know what she is talking about but I won't tell her that there are no casualties. If she finds out that her friend is alive, she would be out looking for her.

"You cannot blame yourself for the things beyond your control, Ciel."

And even if she tried to help, how can a four-year old toddler help someone fight the older children? Kids who don't understand the meaning of the law can do anything.