chapter 4

Characters
Lauren- Ebonee Davis
Brooklyn- @mind.marauder on
IG
Ashton- Steve Lacy

I'm sitting in my bed, struggling to get out and get ready for my day, but I am exhausted. I spent all of last night with Ashton. The sunlight peers through my window. I wish I could stay here all day, lounging around in my bed. After 10 minutes of staring at the ceiling, I force myself up and begin to make tea. As soon as I go to take a sip, my phone starts ringing. I see Lauren's name pop up on the screen. What could this girl want at 9:00 in the morning?

"Hello?"

"Hey, what you doing?"

"Nothing, girl, i just woke up. Drinking my tea."

"Me too. I was thinking we should go for brunch later on today. I have a whole bunch of free time. I thought we should meet up."

"Ok that's cool. Uh, let's meet at Upland at 11."

Now this means I have to get ready, I was hoping to have a chill day but I guess not. I walk to the bathroom and take a hot steaming shower. Once I was done, I had my Shea butter on deck. This was my holy grail for soft skin. I moisturize my hair, and seal it in with coconut oil. It soon air dries, and I fluff it out. I put on my clothes and get started on my makeup. Me personally, I don't wear heavy makeup, mostly because I'm not the best at doing it anyway. I keep everything simple and minimalistic. I fill in my brows a bit, add a little mascara, a little highlight, and of course my clear lipgloss. I never forget that. I put on my gold hoops, get my purse, and head out the door towards my car. The weather was beautiful, it was cool, but not to the point where I was cold. It was just enough.

"Now how do I get to this place?" I murmur to myself as I set up the GPS.

I plug up my phone to the aux cord and play Aaliyah.

"Cause if at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again. You can dust it off and try again, try again" I sing.

Eventually, I pull up to the place and see Lauren waiting out front. Beep Beep. She looks up from her phone and waves.

"Hey, there is a 5 minute wait, I was just standing out here until they call my name." she says.

"Okay, just let me find a parking space."

Parking in New York is the worst, but at least it isn't as bad as how it is in DC.
I lucked up though, and got a space right in front. As I walk to the the restaurant, Lauren walks toward me reaching for a hug.

"Lauren, party of two!"

We walk in and take our seats.

"I think i'll just get some pancakes. Ooh, they have blueberry." Lauren says.

"I might get the french toast."

"So, how was your little date last night?"

"Girl, let me tell you. It was great. We went to the MOMA, walked around the city, shared pizza. We talked all night, it was almost like I've known him all my life."

She looks at me with a smirk on her face.

"Look at you! Go head now, you went and got you a man."

"Um I don't know about all of that. It was just one date. Honestly it probably won't even last."

"Why you say that? By the looks of it, you like this guy a lot. You all head over heels and shit."

"I am not."

"You are so. You are blushing."

We both laugh. This girl is too much, but she's like my sister.

"You should definitely give it a chance, y'all would be mad cute."

"Whatever." I smile and roll my eyes.

I act like he isn't that important, but deep inside, he is all I've been thinking about these past couple of days. He is smart, sexy, and we have a lot in common. He could possibly be the one, but I'm not letting Lauren know that.