Ch. 7- Birthday Robbed

KATRINA

I sat in the dark alley and quietly sang to myself, “Happy birthday to me, Happy birthday to me.” I sighted. In my hands, I held half of a cupcake with a used birthday candle that I had found in a dumpster. It wasn’t lit. And even if it was I wouldn’t be able to blow it out. I would just light it again. I leaned back on the dumpster behind me. Alone on my birthday. Quinn and Dev were on a business trip to Russia and the followers were annoying the shit out of me. My apartment was literally overflowing with all the flowers and jewelry they were buying me. I looked down at my phone and I had over a thousand texts from my followers all over the world texting me happy birthday. Ugh.

I needed to do something to treat myself for my birthday. I reached down and grabbed my .38 caliber pistol from my boot. I checked to see if it was loaded. Fully. I reached in my jacket pocket to grab my black ski mask that I always had handy. I slipped it on and looked down the alley to a small convenient store that was across the street. There was a younger girl at the cash register and a middle aged woman going to buy some milk. I stood up from where I sat and ran out of the alley and into the store.

“Nobody move!” I screamed, waving the pistol in the air. I loved the rush I was getting. “Get on the ground!”
“OMG please don’t hurt me! I’m too pretty to be shot and disfigured! Take whatever you want from the cash register, just don’t shoot the face! ” shouted the young girl as she came out from behind the counter and dropped to her knees.
“I have a family!” the middle aged woman screamed wildly from the ground.
“No one is getting shot if you just cooperate, and I don’t want your money.
They both looked at me puzzledly. “You don’t? Then why are you in here with a gun?” the young girl asked sassily.
“Why are you asking questions when I’m pointing a gun at your face?” I walked around the small store, making sure the two on the ground could see the gun at all times. I stopped in the candy aisle. “Now,” I said talking to the young employee, “what would you recommend? Are you a chocolate girl? Reese’s? Milky Way? 3 Musketeers? Oh they all sound so good. What to choose, what to choose,” I said as I stroked my chin, trying to seem puzzled.
“Seriously? You came for candy?” The girl sneered, the older woman still quietly weeping on the floor.
“Not only candy!” I snapped back at her, “I might get a soda or something too. It’s my birthday.”
“You are crazy.”
“Woah, woah, woah! Girly. Watch what you’re saying to the girl with the gun.”
“Why don’t you just take your candy and leave!”
“You know what? I think I will!” I grabbed a Hershey’s and a Sprite and stomped towards the door, turning just before I left. “You seem like a real bitch. I was just trying to have a good birthday,” I said dramatically before taking a dramatic exit. Seconds later I came back in the store and grabbed a box of tampons, “Since I’m here, I’ll need these next week. Now good day to you ladies!”

----------------

I returned home, munching on my chocolate girl. I opened the door and groaned. Everywhere I looked there was flowers and balloons. “Katrina! Look what we got for you!” All the followers said in unison.
“Do you like these roses, Katrina?”
“Do you like the lilies I got for you?”
“My flowers are best!”
“My flowers are beautiful, just like you.”
“EVERYONE SHUT UP!” I screamed.
“But Katrina...” They all said in unison.
“No. You guys, seriously. If you were in love with me you would know that I hate flowers!”
“But we got them just for you.”
“I DON’T CARE!” I screamed and a hot cloud of fire came out of my mouth, burning all of the flowers. “Ha! Aren’t you guys so angry now! I destroyed all of your precious flowers.”
They all stared at me expressionless for a second, “I love you, Katrina!” They all said in unison. I angrily stormed out of the apartment.

----------------

I flew madly around the city. I just wanted to be alone. Flying randomly around the city, I let the wind blow on my face. Then, I noticed where I was. I was flying right over my sister’s apartment. I landed on a nearby building to get a better look. Inside was about a hundred people. They brought Kalila a huge cake and she was given hundreds of presents. I looked upon the scene angrily. Why did she get to have a great birthday with the ones she loves while I was all alone. I sat on the building watching the party for awhile. Anger growing inside of me. Then I saw him, my love, kissing her. I was seething with anger. Then I thought, I should get my lovely sister a birthday present. I flew down to the alley next to my sister’s apartments. My mind was racing, I was so angry. A burst of flames flew out of my mouth and burned into the nearby dumpster. I laughed, what a perfect gift. I lifted the dumpster easily and flew back outside my sister’s penthouse. It was less crowded now, and she sat on the sofa with him. He had his arm around her. But he was looking out the window. And it looked like he was looking right at me. Then, he turned and kissed her. And I threw the dumpster.