Two

"I'm so glad that you have settled in." Catherine says during dinner. All I can do is nod and fake a smile. "Oh yeah, it wasn't hard." I looked down taking another bite of the chicken she had made.
     "So first day of school is tomorrow, how do you feel?" I hold back a scoff. "Alright, it's just another year, another new school." I say trying not to be rude to my mothers new girlfriend. "I'm sure Carter and Arora would be thrilled to show you around," at the mention of their names Carter looked up from his chicken, and Arora from her phone. "Right kids?" She asked. "I can't, I have practice before and after school and a study group during lunch." Carter says taking a bite of green beans.
"I have a student council meeting every day this week, we are getting ready for the back to school dance, I can't show America around, I just have to much to do." Arora said looking back down at her phone. My mother, Elinor, looked at her. "Arora honey, put your phone away at the dinner table." She said in a saturated motherly tone. Arora rolled her eyes and slid her phone in her dress pocket.
"Don't you roll your eyes at Elinor, Arora." Catherine scolded. "You know better." And with that Arora looked down at her food, stabbing her fork into her chicken.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

So dinner was a mess. Once it was over I practically ran to my room. I walked in, closed the door and grabbed my copy of Twilight before laying down on my king sized bed. The bed was a "I'm sorry we are moving in to live with my new girlfriend but I hope you can see this is a good thing " gift from my mother.
I think the only good thing about this is I can tell people I live with Carter and Arora. Not that living with them will make me important of anything like that. I'm not even sure it will get me any friends.
The first day of school. I'm sure it will be anything but wonderful, every other school I have been in has been less than satisfactory.
Bullies are abnormal with me. I am antisocial, I like reading more than talking and I am considered a freak because of the solid fact my mom came out as gay last year and moved me here.
To try and get my mind off of just how awful this new school will be I read.

Twilight

Opening the cover, I am greeted by a verse from the Old Testament of the Bible.

But of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Genesis 2:17

I don't know why this brings comfort to me, but it does. This book is a love story, as is the majority of the books on my shelf. I find warmth in knowing that people can invision a world where love is the ending and nothing more.
Twilight gives the feeling of love and shelter when the love between vampire and human is forbidden. It is comforting to know that something we cannot understand, like Edward trying to figure Bella out, can turn out to be out greatest treasure, our deepest desire.

I continue reading for almost three hours when a knock breaks me from the trance my book had me trapped in. "Come in!" I call sitting up. I grab a bookmark and slid it into the book. Carter opened the door and walked inside my room, closing the door behind him. "Hey," he said plainly. "Um, hi?" I reply, standing, I walk across my room to my bookshelf and slid Twilight safely back into its assigned spot. "I was told I had to come up here and tell you lights out is soon." He lifted his hand up and ran it through his red hair. "Oh, okay." I walk back across the room to my bed. He watches me carefully, as if I might disappear. "Is that all?" I ask nervously waiting for him to say something.
"Yeah, uh, yes, that's all." He says before turning to leave. "You're lying." I said pushing hair behind my ear. He stopped and turned to look at me. "Tell me whatever it is you want to tell me." It was almost as if I flicked a switch. "I wanted to tell you that, I know it isn't the best that you have to live here, but if you need to talk or anything, I'm here." He nodded and with that, he left.
I shook it off. Turning off the main lights I walk to grab Twilight once more. I read until I fall asleep.