Chapter 20

Okay. Short reminder. I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but this will be a lot different than Catching Fire and Mockingjay. Some things may be the same, but I've decided to change it up a bit to keep it interesting. Also, there is a surprise at the end of the chapter for y'all that even I wasn't expecting 😂

Katniss P.O.V.

Peeta's alive. He's okay. He has to be alive.

I've been repeating this to myself for over an hour. Once we landed, Haymitch wanted me to meet with 13's leader, President Coin, but I refused to until I've heard something about Peeta.

So now I'm sitting in a quiet room by myself. Waiting.

The baby moves, and I let out a sob. "Daddy's okay," I choke out. I'll fall apart if something's happened to Peeta.

The door opens, and I expect Haymitch to walk in. But it's not him.

"What are you doing here?" I ask cautiously. I don't trust him yet.

"Thought you might need some company," Finnick says as he takes a seat across the room from me.

"I don't need you to babysit me," I mutter as I stare at the floor.

He takes a deep breath. "Look, I heard about Peeta…"

"What about Peeta?" I ask as I quickly look over at Finnick.

His eyes widen. "Oh. I thought you've heard already."

"Heard what?"

"Nevermind," Finnick says as he stands up. "I shouldn't have…"

"Finnick," I say as I reach out and grab his arm. "Please."

He sighs and nods his head. "Peeta was taken by Peacekeepers."

"Taken? Taken where?" But as soon as the words leave my mouth, I know. "Snow has him," I say as tears form in my eyes. Finnick look away from me, and I close my eyes.

"Oh my gosh," I say as a sob escapes me. This can't be happening. "Someone… Someone has to let Haymitch know."

"He already knows, Katniss."

"No," I say as I shake my head. "Haymitch said he didn't know where Peeta's at."

Finnick gives me a look. "Haymitch was told first thing."

Before I can react, the door swings open again, and Haymitch walks into the room.

"You know," I say as the anger makes my blood boil. "You lied to me and said that you didn't know where Peeta's at. This entire time I've been sitting here wondering where my husband, the father of my child, is. You've known this entire time!" I stand up out of my seat, but Finnick steps between us.

"Easy," he says.

"Katniss, I didn't tell you because I know how you'd react," Haymitch tells me. "I wanted to make sure it was true so you wouldn't get upset for no reason."

"You probably lied to me about not knowing where Prim's at too."

"No, Katniss…"

"I can't believe you anymore," I say. I push past Finnick and Haymitch, and out into the hallway. I have no clue where I'm going, but I have to get as far away from Haymitch as I can.

"Katniss!"

I stop in my tracks at the sound of her voice.

"Prim," I say as I turn to face her. She comes running towards me, and I can immediately see the tears in her eyes. I wrap my arms around her and hold her close to me.