courtrooms & suprises

Hey, hi, hello. So, this chapter involves a courtroom scene. My experience with these things happens to be very little, thank goodness. This also means that my interpretation of such may not be accurate, but hopefully enjoyable!

________

Marinette found herself in court the following week. The trial circled around seeking justice for Adrien's abuse. Being a key witness to the investigation, it was vital that she attend. The past few days were labor intensive, what with interrogations brought on by police, keeping her distance from the asylum, and all of its counterparts, and potentially finding a new job.

The entire courtroom stood to their feet, respecting the authority and ruling of the court judge. Once he was in his rightful place, each person returned to their seat, anxiously awaiting Judge Franks' final decision.

Chloe was the first to take the stand, being questioned by her lawyer. She swore to tell only the truth, and proceeded with their questioning.

"Is it true that you worked as a caretaker at Greene's Hospital?"

"Yes."

"Were you once taking care of Adrien Agreste?" her lawyer asked, keeping a level head as any professional would.

"Yes, I was."

"How long ago was that?"

"The first time was last year, and then once again about a week or so ago."

The lawyer paused, allowing the jury to soak in the rapid fire speed of information that was being thrown out. "Would you say that Adrien was a difficult patient?" Chloe's lawyer, Ms. Banker asked.

"Objection!" Adrien's lawyer, Mr. Wright contested. "On what grounds?" Judge Franks questioned. "Leading the question," said Mr. Wright. "Sustained," the judge stated, meaning that Ms. Banker needed to find a new question to ask Chloe.

"Explain what it was like to work with Adrien."

"At first, he was a typical case. He is diagnosed with Antisocial and Borderline Personality disorders. Having two combined proved a challenge, but it was manageable. The second time around, he was different. It was like he had fallen depressed and barely ate anything. Every little thing I tried to help him with, he would just push me away no matter what," Chloe answered. 

It disgusted Marinette that she would try to be the victim in this case. Chloe was the reason that Adrien had to run away. 

Not reversed.

Adrien and Marinette's secret weapon was one of two things. The video tape she took, much unknowingly by Chloe and her pesky lawyer, and another item that was kept under-wraps.

As a key witness, it was a little contradicting. Marinette was sure that the intimacy she shared with Adrien was going to come up eventually. This, in turn, would surely soil her credibility was a reliable source. According to Adrien and Mr. Wright, they had just the thing to make their fleeting kisses diminish in retrospect.

"What do you think changed in Adrien's life that affected his behavior?"

"I know for a fact that it was Marinette Dupain-Cheng."

It was such a bold statement. The people that surrounded her gasped. It wasn't a shock that she was being called out so starkly. Most people had the knowledge, due to the show the blonde woman put on at that staff meeting.

"And what makes you say that?"

"She was his caretaker in between my turns. I have photographs of the two of them kissing each other. Fraternization among caretakers and patients is strictly prohibited. I feel as though Adrien grew attached, as per the effects of his disorders, and wanted nothing to do with me."