Three cases solved

DCI Joe Ashworth was sitting behind his desk in his office in Dallas, Texas. It was a hot and dry evening. He was originally from England and still not used to this weather. In front of him, he had three cases. Case one was from years ago but was still unsolved. It was about the McHyland family; the parents had been found dead and the children had vanished. Case number two had just come in. An orphan called Merlijn had escaped the orphanage, but was not found yet. Last but not least, case number three is about the murder of Jason Blossom, the golden boy of Riverdale. Something was off in some unknown way.. the three cases are linked, DCI Joe Ashworth thought. He had just talked with Max, Merlijn's boyfriend, and learned that she is a native Spanish speaker. He had also talked to Polly, Jason's pregnant fiancée, and learned that Jason had, early on in his life, had a baby sister he hadn't seen in years. Tomorrow the detective and his DS Rebecca Shepherd, Sheppy as pet/nickname, would look more into all these cases. DS Shepherd and DCI Joe know each other from way back in the days when they both worked for the miraculous Vera Stanhope in the U.K.

DS Shepherd walked into her boss's office. "Good morning DCI!! I've got more evidence and information on the McHyland case." she said. "Show me" were the words he spoke to his DS. She gave him the photos and files. "These are photos of the young McHyland son," she said and pointed to the left stack of pictures. "And these are photos of Jason Blossom in the last two years," said pointing to the right stack of photos. "And?" was all Joe Ashworth said. "Well, they look really similar," the DS said "and did you know Jason was adopted by the Blossom's only a few years ago?". "So you are thinking, that Jason must the older brother/son of the McHyland family," Joe said. DS Shepherd nod her head in agreement. At that moment Joe's phone started to ring and he picked it up to answer. "WHAT?! How do you mean it is not real??!!" The DCI screamed in anger. The DS jump back a bit in shock of her boss's sudden outburst. "Boss, what is going on?" Shepherd asked worried. "Jason's corps is a mannequin and not human at all," the boss answered with a hint of annoyance. "So where is Jason?" was all Shepherd could say. "I don't know yet, but we'll figure that out later, but at least we only have the Orphan girl case and the McHyland case left to solve. Got any evidence for that as well Sheppy?," Joe continued. " No sorry boss, but both Max and Polly did call to make an appointment with you, boss," she finished telling him.

Later on with Max and Polly

"What did you both want to talk with me about?" DCI Ashworth asked. "Well, Max and I talked. We put the stories of our lovers together and we think Merlijn and Jason are related; they must be siblings." Polly said. "Okay thank you for the information. I have to tell you both something very important. There is an unsolved case from years ago. The McHyland's parents were found dead and the children had vanished. Only this morning we found out that Jason is one of the vanished McHyland children. And if what you are saying is true, Merlijn is the other one." DS Sheppard told Polly and Max.

Out of the interview room the detectives said goodbye to Polly and Max and then Joe exclaimed: "I've got it!!! Sheppy come on, we have to go back to the office, I think I know what happened in the past and what is happening now."

Back in the office

"Boss what is it?" Sheppy asked. "Well, remember the file said that Jason is very protective towards his adopted sister Cheryl and cautious towards his adoptive parents, even though they were very sweet and not at all dangerous. What if that was inbred? Because he had to protect Merlijn against their biological parents?" Joe Ashworth speculated. "Could be boss, but why was he protective of Merlijn then?" the DC asked curiously. "Well, we know that the parents were drug users and alcoholics. So, what if they abused their children, which made Jason and Merlijn run away to safety and what if the parents died of an overdose of drugs and alcohol?" Joe said "We need to go to the only place where Jason and Merlijn felt safe. Any ideas Sheppy?" Joe asked. "Rivers Forest, Sheppy answered quickly. "Because I think, that I know where we can find Merlijn and maybe even Jason.. Come on!!" the DCI said in a hurry.

In Rivers Forest

"MERLIJN!!! WHERE ARE YOU!!!!!!!! MERLIJN!!!! ARE YOU HERE??" The DCI and his DS call out. "Shhh, estar tranquilo acaba de dormir!!!!" Merlijn said in a whispering voice. "Excuse us?" Sheppard said. "Ohh sorry.. but can you please be quiet as my brother just fell asleep." Merlijn said in a Spanish accent.

That was almost a year ago now:

Jason and Polly got married and now have their twins: Nicole Elise 'Nikki' & Nicholas Alexander 'Nick' McHyland. Merlijn lives with Max's family now because she hated it in the orphanage.

And so you see that even after years and years DCI Joe Ashworth and DS Rebecca Shepherd can still solve any case, no matter how strange or hard.