Chapter Ten

"How are ye this early morn', Kirstin?" asked Graham, who stood casually by the stand from which she shopped.

Kirstin had not separated from Alana in town for even two minutes, before he made his presence known. Dressed in a loose kilt and a tight fitting shirt, it was hard to miss his handsome self otherwise. The only downside to it all was that Kirstin was not interested in the man, but he persisted in talking to her at such a close proximity.

"I would be a lot better if ye would leave me be." She snapped at him, barely glancing in his direction.

Graham put a hand to his heart and feigned hurt, "Is that all ye have to say to me?"

"Aye." Was her curt reply. She only wished that he would get the hint this time, but there was no such luck. The man just wouldn't give up on gaining her affection.

"That really wounds me." He stated honestly. When Kirstin made to walk away, he blocked her path. Her eyes squinted in a glare, a crease forming at her forehead to only show her frustration all the more.

Graham smirked, enjoying her reaction, "Mayhap, ye will reconsider my earlier proposition and join my clan instead?"

If possible, the crease above her brow deepened, "Nay, I've already told ye that I have no interest in yer clan, or ye."

She made to step around him, but he easily sidestepped to block her path again, "Ye haven't even met my clan? Whose to say that ye won't like them more?"

Kirstin put a hand to each of her hips, "Ye canna bother some other girl? Surely there are many others that would gain yer affection."

"Nay," Graham eagerly replied, bringing his face closer to her own, "For none of them are as equal to yer beauty."

"Certainly, there is a lady that will catch yer eye. Mayhap, if ye looked first?" She retorted. It seemed that the more irritated she became, and the more rude replies she gave, Graham only became all the more determined.

Graham grinned back at her, "I did look, and I found ye."

"Well then," Kirstin huffed, jumping around him, "Ye did not look hard enough." And with that said, she briskly walked away from him.

Kirstin's constant rejections provoked Graham, but something about the way their most recent conversation ended erupted a new feeling in him. Anger? Envy? Or perhaps jealousy in the case that she rejected him because her heart beat for another?

The red-haired man tensed at that last thought. His eyes became dangerously dark as he stared after her retreating form. Whatever this new feeling may be, Graham did not enjoy it. He had finally snapped, the realization of her rejections hitting him hard. If Kirstin was not one for sharing his feelings, then there was only one solution that came to his tormented mind.

To make her.

v

Alana had made Kirstin put everything away by herself when they returned to the manor. She had promised the young blonde that if she were to do that one simple task, she could have the next hour to spare for an early lunch.

Kirstin would have naturally made her way to the field to read Lachlan's journal during the free time, but refrained from doing so. She remembered Lachlan's strict words and promised him she wouldn't disobey, but that did not stop a thought from striking her.

She had no idea what happened to the journal. Lachlan did not speak of it, and she did not see it when she had awoken. The only explanation of the leather-bound book was that she had left it out by the field.

Fear and regret struck Kirstin hard. The last thing she wanted was to lose the precious object, especially since she was not the rightful owner.Would Lachlan notice if she escaped to the field momentarily, to look for the journal? She hoped not.

The blonde did not waste much more time thinking about the chances of him discovering her disappearance, and instead hastily left the kitchen. She quickly made her way towards the trees, scanning the area of any wondering gazes. Luckily, most of the men were sparring in the fields in front of the manor, and not behind it.

Which only made her wonder why they were sparring at all? If Lachlan was taking them to battle, she had heard no such words spoken on the matter. She made a mental note to ask another servant when she returned.

Nevertheless, she finished the distance to the field and gazed over the tall grass and flowers. Not seeing any sign of the journal, Kirstin hurried to the spot where she had fallen asleep.

She knelt down on two knees, and threw her hands out in front of her. She swiftly searched the grass, and frowned as she sooner than later realized that the journal was not there.

Perhaps someone had taken it?

Giving up after a solid ten minutes of searching, Kirstin stood up. She brushed off her dress of any traces of dirt, and turned around to walk back.

Only to come face to face with dark eyes, crossed arms, and firm lips.

Needless to say, Kirstin had been caught by no other than Lachlan himself.