Chapter Twelve

A collection of dreams and memories flooded her in unconsciousness. They had been so faint that Kirstin could not decipher which had been real and which were only figments of her imagination. So, when these images became faded and she was finally given the strength to open her tightly closed eyes, only then did reality hit her.

            She made no movement though, but was aware that she was once again alone in Lachlan's large bed. Kirstin dwelled on his earlier proposal for a long time while lying there. She questioned his motives of revealing his past, present, and even hopeful future with her. This extraordinary highlander, only known for his cruel and merciless ways, was not as he seemed. Lachlan had a past much worse than anyone she had ever come to know, and yet he was so kind to her. He not only showed his love for her by his touch and protectiveness over her, but he had finally admitted his love through words, through a proposal of eternal matrimony.

            In a way this terrified Kirstin, but in another it only thrilled the excitement that she had become familiar with when it came to Lachlan. He was giving her more than a home, companionship, and a life that Kirstin dreamed did not exist. Lachlan was giving Kirstin his heart.

            But could she very much as well give him her heart in return? Much less, the devotion and undying adoration that a wife was supposed to provide for her husband?

            Kirstin did not know, but she did know that she had already begun to do all of these things. She adored Lachlan, enjoyed devoting well spent time with him even if it involved a punishment, and she had even began to take notice to his unreadable ways. She could easily predict what he was feeling and thinking, and this was something that most people lacked when it came to him.

            Even if Kirstin did not recognize her abilities as heart-felt emotion and the early signs of love, she held no doubt that she could come to truly love Lachlan in time. She felt as if no other man would do as much for her as Lachlan had and she feared that no other would give her his heart as easily. Therefor, as selfish as it may seem, Kirstin had her answer to his proposal. She promised herself that when she gave her answer to him, she would also explain how she feels towards him even if it is not what he expects.

             She lay against the heavy furs that lined his bed for a few moments longer, taking in Lachlan's musky scent, before getting up. Once her bare feet touched the floor, she anxiously made her way to his study but only to find that it too, was absent of his presence.

            Not wanting to waste another minute, Kirstin easily stepped out into the hallway and hustled down the long hallways. She hurried, anxious to find Lachlan and give him the answer she had come up with.

            However, Lachlan was nowhere to be found within the walls of the great manor. One of the younger servants was walking by with a duster in hand, and Kirstin called out for her, "Have ye seen the laird around?"

            "Aye, I have." The servant responded, "He is by the stables with his men."

            Kirstin nodded her thanks and quickly turned the corner to the front doors. The sun's bright beams immediately blinded her but she had noticed that it would soon be setting due to the pink and orange tinted sky from afar.

            Her shoes were quickly becoming covered in mud and Kirstin regretted not putting boots on. Nevertheless, she stopped walking when she saw a head full of brown hair that could belong to no other than Roderick.

            "Roderick!" Kirstin shouted almost desperately, "Have ye seen Lachlan?"

            Roderick snickered, "Mayhap. Why do ye ask?"

            "'Tis important. I need to speak to him." She snapped, all the while searching the area with her eyes.

            "Aye, I got that part, but why?" Roderick pushed, now smirking through his playful eyes.

            Kirstin brought her eyes back to his, "It doesna concern ye! Now tell me where he is or I will find him myself."

            Roderick raised both of his eyebrows, "What is so important to tell the laird, that has ye in this state?" he said more so to himself.

            Kirstin threw her hands up in the air exasperated, "So be it." After she snapped those last words at him, Roderick watched her storm away. She had barely taken five steps before he bounded after her and put an arm around her shoulders, and began to guide her around the stables, "I will show ye where the laird is."

            Kirstin rolled her eyes, even though it was very impolite to do so, "Took ye long enough."

            Roderick snickered one more time but said nothing more. As the two of them rounded the stables, Kirstin could easily make out the dozens of men practicing sword fighting on their horses. Many other men remained standing, observing the practicing men and occasionally yelling out words of encouragement.

            Some of them were clad in lamellar, and others wore thick leather. Each one of the men had a sword in hand. Kirstin stared in awe before she noticed Lachlan's grand, black horse trot towards Roderick and her, stopping with abruptness only a few feet away. Only then did she take in the sight of a sweaty, muscled Lachlan on top of the stallion. He dismounted and approached the two of them, eyeing Roderick's arm that was still draped around Kirstin's shoulders. Roderick quickly withdrew his arm to his side. He noticed Lachlan's focused stare on Kirstin and not wanting to be a burden, found it best to leave the two alone.

            Kirstin's throat felt as if it were swelling, becoming tight. It made it harder for her to speak words, but she finally managed to say, "I have my answer," she looked around warily, "Though, 'tis no' the best place to tell ye it."

            Understanding, Lachlan took her by the hand and guided her away from the pasture of fighting men. He took her to a more quiet part of the estate, where the woods bordered his land but to where they could still see the manor. Kirstin was disappointed when his hand left hers so that he could face her. Surprisingly, he did not rush her to speak, but that did not stop him from gazing into her sterling blue orbs as if searching for the answer he so desperately wanted to hear.

            Finally, she said softly, "Before I give ye my direct answer, I want ye to ken that just because ye have easily given me yer heart, doesna mean that I can as easily give ye mine. It doesna mean that I willna ever give ye my heart, but if ye give me time then I am sure I will be able to do so. My feelings for ye grow everyday, and quite honestly, it frightens me because I have never been with a man before. But," she said with more assertiveness, "I am confident that yer the man for me. My answer is yes, Lachlan. I will marry ye."

            A flurry of emotion crossed his features, from disbelief to relief, and then to happiness. It was the first of times that Kirstin had seen him express so much in only a matter of seconds, and it was the first time she had seen him so full of joy.

           Despite the fact that he was still sweaty and coated with dirt, Lachlan wrapped his arms around her and pressed his lips to hers, ultimately forming a gentle but fervent kiss.

           And for the first time, Kirstin enjoyed the feeling of him kissing her, with no intentions of pulling away.