Chapter 26

"It has started," I say blankly, staring at the chaos behind Richard, Tony, and Susan. They turn around to face the hell I am seeing and Richard quickly reacts.

"We must hurry," he says, "The others must be in Central Park by now and with all of this going on, they won't stay in the open for too long. We must make a plan before we make any moves."

"How are we going to get there fast enough?" I ask.

"Before we figure that out, you need to be safe. You need one of these protective armors first," he says, extending his glowing hand toward me. My body starts glowing and when the light subsides, I am wearing a red armor uniform. I have a helmet on and a glass pane visor protects my face."

"Double tap the right side of your helmet to turn on and off the one-way mirror on the visor," I hear Richard's voice directly in my ear through some earpiece I now have on. "It comes in handy when you don't want to be seen or when you do want someone to recognize you. Oh, I almost forgot."

Richard waves his hands once more and an AK-47 type-like red gun appears in each of one of our hands.

"This is a blaster," he says, "The bullets in these bad boys contain a condensed type of magic powerful enough to destroy a dead soul and damn them for eternity. You don't want to mistakenly hit one of ours with this. These are for the king and whatever he throws at us."

I nod. To be honest, I am nervous. I have never liked guns and didn't even know how to shoot one. Richard must see it because he gets closer to me.

"Just point and shoot, bud," he says, "Just point and shoot."

I don't even know why we need these. What are we even going to shoot besides the king?

"Let's move out!" he shouts.

"I think we should teleport there," I say, "We can kill time and avoid getting sidetracked."

"You heard the man," says Richard, turning on the one-way mirror so we can no longer see his face. We all do the same. "On my call; three, two, one..."

We all wave our hand to teleport. A small fire starts on our feet and starts rising when it suddenly extinguishes in a slick blow.

"What happened?" asks Tony.

"I can sense something," says Susan, "It's the same feeling I had when we got here. It's as if there is an external force limiting my magic."

I start to recall the events before I fell off the bridge and into the water. The ground started trembling violently and maybe I was in shock that I didn't quite hear it, but I swear there was a loud bang.

"There was a really loud noise," I say, "Almost like an atomic bomb went off."

"A neutralizing spell might have been set in the form of a long range bomb" says Susan, "That could explain the loud noise and why our powers are weak. Either way, we have to get to the others. I lived in New York. I know the fastest route to Central Park."

"Lead the way," says Richard.

We begin walking with Susan as our guide. The city that was so extravagant just minutes ago is now a place of terror. Civilians are running in the streets, looking for help. Some are badly injured, but the ambulances on the road can't get by as fast because of the rubble. People and cars pass through us as they sprint by screaming. I wish I could help them, but what good is a dead man?

"This way," says Susan turning left on an empty street. There are no street lamps so the road is pitch black. Richard shows us the flashlight on the guns so we all turn them on. There are no people in sight. Abandoned cars litter the road and we pass by a dead man who lays on the ground, his head crushed by a big piece of stone.