reason ten

4 July 2009.

Berlin, Germany.

Rosie Špiljak really didn't know what she was doing at a party. She had work the next day, and it was already a hassle to get up at eight in the morning and arrive at the café by eight-thirty.

But it was a Saturday night, and one of her co-workers, Jonas, invited the staff for a house party at his place. Initially, she had declined the offer, stating that her German wasn't good enough to survive a party, but Jonas talked her out of it. And here she was, standing awkwardly in the corner while everyone else had the time of their lives.

Already, two guys came by and tried to flirt with her. To be honest, there weren't that bad looking, and Rosie wouldn't mind to know them a little more (she thought the black flowy dress she wore must have done it), but the only thing in her way of making advances was her poor fluency in German.

She moved to Berlin from Dubrovnik just two years ago, and it was embarrassing to say that her German was still shit. She was unable to keep a conversation going for more than two minutes or even form sentences without stuttering.

So when it came to this party, Rosie kept her distance from the socializing and stood in the corner.

No beer, no cups, no boys, nothing. She felt useless seeing everyone else dance and drink their night away, blaming the language barrier and her abstinence from alcohol.

By the time the clock struck ten, Rosie was ready to walk out of this party rather than waste her time even more. If she was going to live here for another month, she had better gone home and get ready for work tomorrow.

"Rough night?"

It was like her world just exploded. Someone who spoke English! Finally! "I kinda don't know how to speak German, yet," she stuttered to the man towering her. He's quite handsome, she would admit. "You?"

He cleared his throat. "Just not a good night." He looked at the floor. "I'm Lukasz."

"Rosie," she introduced herself. "You're the first person I've seen not drinking alcohol...other than me."

"It's not fun drinking when your friends leave you and get lost in the middle of this party."

Rosie wished she could relate, but she couldn't. In her two years living in Berlin, she had never been to a party or a club or a bar with people—who were really her co-workers—she called "friends."

But this man...he didn't seem half as bad. He was tall, had an accent, and handsome (really handsome, in Rosie's shoes).

When their eyes met for the first time, and their lips sealed shut, a smile erupted on both of their lips. And so did a fight in the backyard of the house. Way to ruin the moment.

"Do you want to get out of here?" he asked.

"I'd love to."

It was the best thing Lukasz has ever done because he got a really pretty girl in his car, just a few days after his arrival back to Berlin after spending holiday in his hometown.