Chapter 10

Eira stood at the gate to the arena. She was a bag of nerves. Hiccup was there trying to calm her, but it wasn't working.

"Just do the plan we made last night okay?" He said.

Eira nodded, her mouth to dry to speak.

"Well, I can show my face in Berk again!" Stoick cried as the crowd laughed.

"If someone had told me that in a few short weeks, Eira would go from, well, Eira to being top of the class in dragon training, I would have laughed in their face. But, here we are, and no one is more surprised, nor proud, than I am. Today, my girl becomes one of us. Today, SHE BECOMES A VIKING!" Stoick boomed.

By now, Eira was shaking viciously. Astrid came down to calm her.

"Eira , you know the plan, you're going to do great." Astrid said.

"I'm not worrying about the dragon." She managed to choke out. "Hiccup, if something goes wrong, don't let them find Toothless and Brighteyes, please."

"I will. Just promise me nothing will go wrong." Hiccup said.

"It's time." Gobber says to Eira . "Go get 'im."

Eira grabbed her shield and walked into the arena. The crowd goes wild. The whole village is here. She takes a deep breath and looks up to her father, who looks at her proudly. She doesn't pick up any weapon, it's just her and a shield.
The gate opens and out crawls the flaming Monstrous Nightmare.

It spots Eira and heads straight for her. Eira stands her ground.

"Eira move!" Stoick booms.

Eira raises a hand to silence him and the crowd. The arena is silent.

"Hey boy, I know you're scared, that's why you are doing this." She begins.

She sees the dragon's eyes change. She is getting to him.

"But, I'm not here to hurt you." She puts down her shield.

"What is she doing?" Stoick said to Gobber.

"I don't want to hurt you. You are a magnificent, smart creature, and you need to be shown respect. I respect you, I need you to trust me." Eira says.

With that, she extends her hand and looks away.

"Eira ! What are you doing!" Stoick bellows.

This frightens the dragon, and he lights up.

"Hey boy, it's okay." Eira says, somehow remaining calm.

The dragon didn't listen and started going crazy. Eira grabbed her shield and took cover.

"Get that dragon under control! Stoick yelled before heading down to the arena with other Vikings.

"DAD. STOP!" Eira yelled.

But he didn't listen. Back in the cove, Brighteyes hears Eira's distress calls. She flies out of the cove and heads over to help the girl. Back at the arena, Eira is running around the arena, dodging the dragon's fiery flames.

"Out of my way!" Stoick booms as he runs through the crowd.

"Do not hurt him! He's scared!" Eira screamed.

"We've got to do something!" Hiccup said to Astrid.

Astrid grabs her axe and wedges the gate open. The two roll into the arena to help their friend and sister. The two run over to Eira . The dragon has his gaze fixed on her. Astrid hurls a hammer at the beast and hits it.

"Let's go!" She yells as they bolt for the door.

Stoick enters the arena and guides the teens out. Before Eira can get out, the dragon blocks her path. He aims to fire, but is cut off by a roar.