Chapter 4

Alex's POV:

Everything was set, the invitations had all been replied to and the guest list was ready, food and drinks have been prepared and decorations showed how wealthy Jeffery truly was.
But even so my stomach knotted and twisted as I thought of the night that would soon come, in a mere 3 hours guests and their partners would be filling the Deveraux plantation house to the brink, they lit torches in the back of the estate and musicians were setting up in the corner of the vast ballroom.

"So what do you think, Alexandra?" Jeffery asked me as he came to stand beside me, he wrapped a hand around my waist and soothed my clenched fingers with his free hand.

"It's beautiful Jeffery, but do you think it is too much, we are still at war" I looked at him with a gulp, the last time I mentioned the war to a man, who had been my father, he told me it was not a women's business to speak of such things. Thinking I had offended Jeffery I spoke quietly "I apologise, it is not my place to say such things" I looked away from Jeffery who chuckled and touched my chin dragging my attention back to him.

"Do not apologise Alexandra, you are quite right we are in the middle of a terrible war but this is what the people of New Orleans needs in this dark time, our family shall be the light that shines brightly for all to see" he kissed my lips gently, a move he'd been doing more and more often, though if I were honest I quite enjoyed it "now go get ready my love, I shall come get you when the time comes for our entrance"

Nodding gently I walked up the stairs and into my temporary room Jeffery had placed me in until we were wed, "Ma'am your dress is cleaned and pressed" Winona my servant said gesturing for me to sit on the small chair in front of a dressing table.

"Thank you, Winona," I said with a smile since we'd come here Winona had rarely left my side when I felt homesick she was the one to comfort me and listen as I complained about silly little things. I daren't share those complaints with Jeffery, he was a gracious man but patience only goes so far.

"You will be the bell of the ball, ma'am" Winona said with a grin, she always loved playing with my hair even when I didn't ask her to, she was always fiddling with it, I asked her once and she replied that my hair was so silky and inky black that playing with it was hard to resist, given her confession was before I'd made her my handmaiden proved to me that we could be good friends.

"I hope so" I mumbled, with my dress on and my hair was done, it was a matter of seconds before I heard a quiet knock on the door, knowing exactly who it was I stood up "come" I called and smiled when I saw Jeffery's mouth drop open in shock, the deep red dress that I was wearing, he'd chosen and brought for me.

"Alexandra you look beautiful," he said with a smile as he walked past Winona and kissed me deeply, gripping the front of his shirt I held on tightly as he dipped me slowly causing me to gasp and giggle as he lifted me up to stand again.

"And you my love look very handsome indeed," I said as I gulped in the air like I'd never tasted it before that moment.

"You flatter me, my dear" he went to kiss me again but he stopped when our children ran into the room with smiles on their faces.

"Mama, look we match," Océane said as she twirled, her red and black dress swirled around her and you could see her bright red shoes peeking out from under the full skirt.

"Yes we do, but I feel you are missing something" I said tapping my lower lip in mock thought I made a noise and grabbed my mother's Garnet necklace that sat abandoned on my vanity, twirling around to meet Océane's confused gaze, stooping to her level I placed the necklace around her throat and smiled when she gasped in delight "this was my mothers, she gave it to me when I was about your age, and now I am giving it to you" I smiled when she pulled me into a hug and turned to show her father who stood with Aubin in his arms not far away from us.

"I also have something to gift," Jeffery said letting Aubin down so he could grab my hand and kiss my fingers, "so our male guests know who you belong to" he said as he slipped a ring onto my left hand, looking at the ring itself made me want to gasp out loud, it was a gorgeous emerald, gold and pearl ring with small diamonds circling the large emerald stone in the middle of the setting.

"Oh, Jeffery it's perfect thank you," I said placing my left hand on his face I pulled his lips to mine and kissed him quickly.

"You look perfect now, darling, shall we go greet our guests?" he asked us nicely making Aubin move closer to me so he could be scooped up in my arms.

"Yes," I said simply, my mind not quite ready for this night, but for Jeffery, I was ready for anything.

_______________________________________________________

Hey, guys, Océane's necklace and Alex's ring are at the bottom. I am sorry for not updating recently.

 I am sorry for not updating recently