Chapter 7

As I told Stephen, I wasn't about to sit out of any more raids. I did use my doctor status, however, to forbid him from participating for at least a month, so he could heal. Stubborn as ever, he didn't want to agree to more than two weeks and only gave in when I promised to allow William to accompany me on every raid he had to miss.

I couldn't understand his insistence. I knew William would try to protect me to the best of his ability, but so would anyone else. It was sort of our unspoken code - you fought for the person next to you just as much, if not more than you fought for yourself. It was a code that served us well, resulting in no fatalities and few injuries.

But Stephen refused to relent, and so I had no choice but to agree. I was positive that it was a joint effort to drive me mad. William was worse than ever, convinced I had feelings for him ever since that kiss.

I had no one to blame but myself. I should have known I'd create a monster.

"You know, if you want to rest for a while, you're free to use my lap," William said from beside me. We were hidden in the woods, waiting for the group of soldiers that was supposed to be headed this way.

Normally I didn't mind the wait that could take hours, but William made it unbearable with his comments. Although he seemed to amuse Benjamin, the nearby lookout.

We allowed some of the younger boys to come along in lookout capacity only. They could easily maneuver through the trees and were small enough to go unnoticed by people on the ground who weren't aware that they were there. Under no circumstance were they to leave their posts in the trees until we came to reclaim them, or until the soldiers vacated the area if we failed.

This particular mission wouldn't be overly dangerous. We were positioned on top of a ridge, a good twenty feet above where the soldiers were supposed to be passing. It would be one of the easiest raids yet.

"I'm good, thanks," I said dryly.

"You sure? You look...well, maybe you're just bored. You're free to use my lips too, if you'd prefer. You seemed to have fun with them before."

Benjamin laughed and I shot him a dirty look before turning it on William.

"Oh shut up, would you?" This was apparently the wrong thing to say. It amused William to no end.

"What, no denial?" he said, making my face heat up. Which again, he found hilarious.

The truth is, I did enjoy it. Objectively speaking, William was very good looking with his chestnut brown waves, deep blue eyes, strong jaw, and prominent muscles. And he was a good kisser. What girl wouldn't enjoy it? But the price for my momentary indulgence seemed to be never ending.

I would happily deny what he said, but lying was not among my talents, and in this instance, my blush would always give me away. Usually, I would change the subject or insult him, but I was growing tired of the verbal sparing. I should have known better than to resort to telling him to shut up, though.

"Come on. Just admit it. You're in love with me."

Thankfully this was one thing I would have no problem denying.

"Don't be absurd. I'm not in love with you. I don't even like you."

"Ouch." He laughed. "You do have feelings for me, though."

"I do not! And you're giving me a headache."

"Quiet you two!" Benjamin hissed causing the color to rise in my cheeks again. It was somewhat humiliating being scolded by a twelve-year-old.

William continued to mock me with his eyes.

"Okay fine," he said quietly after a moment. "But you have to admit one thing. And don't try to lie, because you couldn't do it to save your life. Your emotions are always far too obvious."