Chapter 19

"I never thought I'd be happy that it took me so long to catch you," the captain said in my ear. "Normally, I don't like to be kept waiting, but I never could have foreseen the benefits. Shame on your mother for keeping you and your brothers a secret for so long. Perhaps I will have to visit her in the near future."

"I haven't seen my mother in years," I lied, sitting up straighter to accommodate the inches he moved his hand up my abdomen. I gave up trying to lean away from him since he kept me firmly pressed against his chest while sitting in front of him on the horse.

"I'm sure that's not true." He chuckled.

"Prove it," I growled.

"Fortunately I don't have to prove it," he said. "And I think I'm long overdue a visit to her anyway. Beautiful woman. Like your sister."

I gasped at the mention of Cecily. "Where is she?" I pleaded.

The captain tisked. "You don't think I'd simply give away such valuable information, do you? I assumed you were smarter than that. You are going to have to work for such things."

Bile rose in my throat as his hand inched up again, emphasizing his implication.

"I'm very fortunate to have so much incentive readily available. I really never thought about extortion before. I usually prefer to get a job done and move on, but you are opening my eyes to all sorts of new ideas."

My pulse sped as I decided to assert a little independence. There were some things I would never do. Not even if it meant Jeremy and Stephen would be killed as a result. They would want it that way.

"I'll never-"

"Don't be so naive," he cut me off. "I'm fairly certain you'll do just about anything I say now that I have your brothers in my custody."

I shook my head, ready to deny it, but not even convinced myself.

"Or perhaps I'll have your mother brought to the castle," he said. "Charged with treason? Anything outside of death would be viewed as merciful. At least to the public."

My resolve was crumbling. I wasn't sure I could allow him to hurt my mother any more than he already had. Why hadn't I thought to find a way to have her go into hiding with my brothers?

"And I recall that you had a few younger brothers as well," he continued.

"You'll never find them," I said in a rush and then cursed my recklessness. I should have said they were dead.

"You'd be surprised what I can do." He laughed. "They couldn't be much older than children. How long do you suppose children can stay hidden in the woods?"

"I managed," I spat.

"Yes, you did," he agreed. "And look how well that worked out for you."

His hand briefly left my stomach so he could gather my hair in his hand to throw it over my shoulder.

"And let's not forget your lovely sister." He ran his nose along my exposed neck and returned his hand to my stomach.

Tears pricked my eyes, knowing I was trapped by much more than the ropes that bound my hands to the horse. Even though it would kill me, I might be able to hold out for Stephen, Jeremy, and even my mother, but I could never sit back and allow anyone to hurt my younger brothers, especially Michael who was so very young and innocent. I believed that if the captain really wanted to find them, he would. He had the right motivation and a good idea of where to look. A bunch of kids, even well-hidden in the woods could only last so long. Especially considering that they knew our strategy, thanks to Owen.

"What do you want from me?" I squirmed to get away from his hand which was beginning to roam freely. Obviously he planned to degrade me in every way, but that wouldn't take extortion on his part. I was more than helpless to fight him off. I was more uncomfortable about what I didn't know was coming. And of course, he already said death was too simple.

"I have a very special purpose in mind for you, little fox," he breathed in my ear. "One that will not only satisfy me but several other people as well, since I believe it will put an end to this ridiculous rebellion, once and for all."

That panic I felt before was building as his hand wandered and I was firmly held in place. Other than quietly laughing at my reaction, the captain ignored me.

"You are going to marry me." He kissed the spot behind my ear.

"What?" I said in disbelief. He had to be passed fifty, which was older than my father would be if he were still alive. Outside of being disgusting, I couldn't imagine why he would possibly want me for a wife. There had to be plenty of other women available. Ones who were much more pliant and beautiful. Ones who shared his views of the king, and who might not be revolted at the thought of him touching them.

"It really is time for me to settle down and start a family," he said, clearly enjoying my distress. "Who better as my wife than the converted rebel leader? I can probably expect a nice promotion after that."

And then it made sense. It was the worst form of torture for me and the most rewarding arrangement for him. If I were to appear to change sides by marrying someone so important in the king's army, the rebellion would fizzle out without much resistance. Owen had been right about one thing, at least. The rebellion wouldn't last long on it's own. But a blow like that would end it almost immediately.

"It will benefit you as well," he said. "I wouldn't be inclined to murder my wife's family. Imprison them maybe, but you could ensure their survival. And you would be afforded all the benefits that come with marrying me. At least publicly." I could almost hear the smirk in his voice. Publicly he would treat me as his wife, but in private, no such courtesy would exist. I'd be a slave for life.

"The more I think about this plan, the more I like it," he mused. "I haven't decided whether to let that turncoat live once we reach the kingdom. It's not entirely proper to let him have his way with my fiancee."

My stomach rolled at the title.

"You gave your word in front of all your men," I reminded him. If there was one thing I knew about him, it was that he needed his men to respect him.

"True...If I didn't know better, I'd think you were eager for him."

I shuddered, thinking about the prospect of being abused first by Owen and then this repulsive man. But at least if things went as planned, I'd have the chance to kill Owen, and right now I wanted that chance. Even if it meant I was rushed to the captain afterward.

"I'm tempted to have you here, just to claim you first," he said, tightening his hand on my stomach.

Gasping, I stiffened, not realizing my torment might begin so soon.

"Alas." His resigned tone had me sighing in relief. "We haven't much time. I suppose I'll have to settle for this just now." He pressed his lips to my neck and his hand began to travel again.

I writhed, trying to distance myself, cursing Owen and my moronic feelings.