Chapter 20

Standing alone in near-darkness with my hands tied to the bedpost in the large room, I waited for whatever would happen next. I had no way of knowing how long it had been since the soldiers left me here. There wasn't even a window. I guessed that it was long past sunrise, though. If I wasn't so fueled by anger and fear, I might have fallen asleep standing up, out of shear exhaustion.

I wasn't sure who I dreaded coming through that door more, Owen or the captain. I despised them both, but at least with the captain, I wouldn't be constantly reminded of my utter stupidity in trusting him. However, the captain scared me much more than Owen did.

When the noise came from behind me, signaling that the door was being opened, I turned as much as my bonds would allow. The movement made me cringe since my wrists were now raw and bleeding from my efforts, trying to escape, but the pain was quickly forgotten. I was far more concerned with who was coming. Afraid that it was the captain after all, I had a difficult time keeping my breathing under control.

The glow of lantern light preceded Owen into the room and I relaxed slightly, exchanging my fear for fury. He paused once inside, watching me cautiously as the door was closed behind him. Placing the lantern on the table, he turned to light the candles around the room before coming to stand just near enough so that I couldn't reach him with my foot.

"I know you must hate me right now, but-"

"Glad I don't have to spell it out for you," I spat.

"But please just listen to me," he continued and I couldn't hold back the derisive snort.

"And why would I do that?"

He pursed his lips. "Well, I could say because you don't have a choice, but I'd prefer you to hear me out willingly."

"How noble of you." I glared. We both knew that I was at his mercy right now.

"Look, I didn't betray you." He huffed.

"Really? Because it sure feels like it!" I screamed. "How could you? After everything! After I-" I bit my cheek to hold back the wretched tears that threatened. I really believed that I was beginning to fall in love with him, and that he cared for me too.

"I promise, I didn't." Reaching for my arm, he came closer only to jump back before I could kick his shin.

I scowled after my failed attempt. "You set us up! We all could have been killed! You handed me over to that man," I said through clenched teeth. "He's going to use my family to control me for the rest of my life!"

"What man?" He looked confused momentarily before understanding dawned in his eyes. "Not-?"

"The man I've wanted dead for most of my life?" I said. "Yes, him."

"I had no idea," he tried. "I just-"

"Just leave me alone!" I screamed, wishing my hands were free. "You're a liar! I want nothing to do with you ever again!"

It was satisfying to see the hurt flash in his eyes, but in another moment he put the emotion away, looking determined.

"Not until you hear me out," he said calmly. "Then, I'll do as you ask. I promise."

Shaking my head, I scowled, having no earthly idea why he thought his promise would mean anything to me. But I suppose I had no choice. He could gag me if he really wanted to.

"I didn't betray you," he tried again. "Not really."

Rolling my eyes, I decided to keep quiet long enough for him to say whatever lie he had in mind so I could get him to shut up.