The Queen's Companion

After going back to the cave with the wolf, the land was officially restored with the first step the wolf took on its ground. It was amazing to watch the giant wave roll across the never setting moon, making it set and the sun rise in its place. The trees were no longer looming over in an intimidating fashion and the fields were now scattered with flowers. Birds sang in the trees overhead and the vibrant undergrowth rustled with creatures crawling underneath. I smiled and basked in the sunlight, happy to see it. We all gathered in the clearing for the explanation from both the wolf and Chloe.

"You see, I used to be the former Queen's companion. I was just a normal wolf back then, but after I guided her when she was lost, the Queen gave me a gift. I could understand her every word and could even speak back. But with every beginning follows an ending. I had perished and the queen was racked with grief. She understood her end would come eventually as well and made you, Candy." Candy's eyes widened.

"R-really?" The wolf nodded and continued,

"After I had died, my spirit took refuge in the moon, not thinking about the sun that would never rise. I gained power from the night until I was drawn out by your powerful love for your friends, Illusion." Her gaze shifted to me and I looked back at her, shocked. "You made me remember there was hope even in the darkest of times. I took over your body to help you defeat your father. That's why your love was so powerful, even though it was already powerful enough." I smiled at her and felt Rascal gently squeeze my hand. I looked over at him to see him gazing at me with a big grin on his face. Is he proud of me? I was slightly startled when he ruffled my hair playfully. He is proud of me! I smiled even wider and turned my attention back to the wolf. "I realized that since I was the first Queen's companion, I must continue my duties." She turned to look at Candy one again and said, "Queen Candy," She stood and bowed, "It is my pleasure to be your companion. To keep you company when you are lonely. To give you advice when you are unsure. And to be your loyal companion until the very end." Candy looked at her with shock and then smiled widely.

"Thank you so much!" Candy exclaimed and ran over, hugging the wolf. She looked at Candy in shock but responded,

"Anything for you, my Queen." Candy was now sitting on top of the wolf's head, enjoying her time with her companion. The wolf then turned her attention to Chloe. "Now, onto more important terms."

"I know Illusion already knows this, but I want to explain this to everyone." Chloe looked at me and I nodded, telling her it was okay. She continued, "I first figured out that if Illusion were to obtain any more dark energy, her father would become stronger and take over. Although, I realized that after she fell in love with Rascal, she made another, happier, version of herself that kept fighting against Emperor Nogo. In the end, when she broke free from her father, she had to free her own copy from his chains. Then it came to me that the only was to escape was with love and happiness, not with negative energy and evil. That's why I was so scared about where she went, because I was afraid of her freeing her father. Although, when we tried to teleport, it didn't work because your father prevented it." Chloe met my gaze and an idea popped in my head. I looked up at Rascal with hope.

"Could the same thing work for Rascal?" Chloe nodded.

"If he really wants to, he can break the copy of himself free." Chloe gave him a fearful glance. "But he would have to deal with his double."

"I want to break my copy free but I'm scared I might hurt someone." I looked at Rascal and gently squeezed his hand. He looked at me and I leaned against him comfortingly, resting my head on his shoulder.

"We'll be fine. I promise." I looked him in the eyes and added, "We all promise." He sighed and gave me a kiss on the top of my head before getting up and walking to the far edge of the field. In usion, the rest of us got up and walked to the opposite side of the field. We all silently watched Rascal stay still for a few moments before his shadow moved when he did not. A creature made of dark energy crawled out of his shadow and stood across from him. "Why is his separation different from mine?" I broke the silence by asking the wolf.

"We all have our own demons. Yours is your father and his is his shadow." I still didn't really understand what she said, but I nodded as if I understood and continued to watch Rascal and his shadow.

The battle started oddly. The shadow approached him as if they were the best of friends but as it got closer, it looked more and more demonic. I was eager to protect Rascal and wanted to interfere, but the wolf gave me a warning glance. I kept myself still as I watched them duel. They were tied with each other for a while until the shadow caught Rascal off guard. It slashed at him with its claws and it struck Rascal's arm when he tried to block the attack. Just like my shoulder. The wolf had healed it, but it was a deep wound, so it left a scar. We will remember these moments forever. The thought didn't disturb me as much as I thought it would. I knew I was never going to forget this and I didn't want to.

Eventually, Rascal killed his equal and it disintegrated just like my father. The wolf trotted over to Rascal and healed his wound, leaving behind scars and torn clothing. I ran over to Rascal happily, a big smile creeping across my face, and I exclaimed,

"It's finally over!" He hugged me tightly and sighed.

"It's over." He murmured.

For the first time in both of our lives, we had no trace of sorrow, evil, or negative energy.