Chapter Twenty-Eight

Lexi's POV

I glared at the article I had been looking at on my phone before tossing my phone into the cup holder of my Jeep with a thunk. Brantley looked over at me before taking a hand off the steering wheel and taking my hand in his. He lifted it up to his lips for a quick kiss before sitting our joined hands on the console between us.

I desperately wanted to go back to the bubble we had been in for the last week. We had laughed, talked, cried, and christened every inch of that cabin. I told myself I was ready for anything the press threw at us, but the thought still turned my stomach.

"What's wrong baby?" he asked as he drove us into Nashville.

"Another are they or aren't they article has popped up again," I said as I laid my head back against the seat and sighed. He squeezed my hand and nodded.

"Baby, it will die down eventually. We get the awards over with tomorrow night, then do the last few shows, we can go home and lock the gates. Shut off all the phones if you want to," he said looking over at me. "So, until then, lets take it step by step. Get into town, do sound check and head over to Luke's to hang out. I know you are having withdrawals from Caroline."

I laughed before nodding my head as I noticed the Welcome to Nashville sign come into view. A little bit later Brantley pulled up beside his bus in the back lot of the Bridgestone Arena. P.J. was standing there waiting on us. I shivered slightly as he opened my door and reached a hand in to help me out. The Tennessee weather had turned cooler but it was like I couldn't get warm.

Between that and being sick off and on the last few days, I was definitely coming down with something. I planned to go and get some shots and medicine in the morning first thing. Last thing I needed for tomorrow night was to be sick.

Brantley wrapped an arm around me as we walked inside. Kerri and Mike came up and pulled us in separate directions to do what we needed to do. We both were scheduled to perform. I was headed to finalize my performance dress with Trish while he headed to do a run through of his song with the band.

I had been trying on several different options Trish had picked out for me and when I walked out in the last one her jaw dropped. She started jumping and down, clapping.

"Yes, yes! That one is it Lex!" she squealed.

( That but in the color grey described)

I looked in the mirror and grinned. It was floor length with a slight train and long sleeves. The color could only be described as storm cloud grey. It had a detailed lace overlay on it and fit me like a glove while leaving the back open. Good thing I didn't move a lot when I sang the song I was performing. I gave her a hug before changing back into my leggings and hoodie. I was bent over slipping my boots back on, when I felt a pair of arms wrap around my waist as I stood up.