Chapter 26 - Will

"What happened?"

"What happened?"

When I made it to the living room, Shannon was sitting in the armchair by the window with a crying Aisling in her lap, staring daggers at RJ as he paced the room.

"I only offered to take her shopping," RJ said. "Apparently, that was wrong."

"We don't need your money," Shannon snapped.

"Easy, easy." I held my hands out in what I hoped was a calming gesture. "Look, this has been a tough twenty-four hours for everyone. Shannon, RJ isn't trying to buy you. He's just trying to help."

Her narrowed eyes said she didn't believe me.

"He likes to buy everyone little gifts. I mean, only last week he bought me lingerie and fancy shoes. Isn't that right, honey?"

I batted my eyelashes, and this time Shannon's mouth twitched while RJ gave me an evil glare.

"How about I go shopping with you tomorrow, and RJ can take Rania? Would that be easier?"

I didn't remotely want RJ going shopping with my girl, but neither did I want him to get his nuts ripped off. And Shannon didn't display quite the same antipathy towards me.

Silence.

"Or how about you go with Rania and we'll both stay at home?"

I could give Rania money. Hey, I still had an overdraft.

Shannon's face crumpled, sending her from stunning to sobbing in two seconds flat. I looked at RJ and he looked at me, hands out, helpless as he gave a panicked shrug.

"Shit," I muttered. "Rania's in the shower."

I crouched in front of Shannon and RJ did the same, but five feet back, out of slapping range.

"Shh, don't get upset. We'll sort everything out."

"You must think I'm such a b-b-bitch."

"It's okay. I'm not your type. I get it," RJ said. "But that doesn't mean we're going to leave you without clothes."

Shannon glanced up from under her eyelashes as RJ stood and took a step towards the door. A long glance. Too long.

And in that moment, I got it too.

RJ was exactly Shannon's type. She just didn't want to admit it.

And now they were stuck in the same house together. A snort of laughter worked its way out of my nose, and I turned it into a cough. I already knew how much Shannon intrigued RJ, but his usual "act smooth and toss cash around" approach wouldn't come close to working with her. He'd have to come up with new tactics, and I bet Shannon wouldn't make it easy for him.

Oh, this promised to be entertaining.

"On second thoughts," I said. "I need to talk a few things over with Rania. Work stuff. We can take care of Aisling while you guys head out tomorrow."