Chapter 19

"Mom!", I shouted as I felt my body slammed on the cold floor.

Ripping my body off the cold floor, I brought a hand to the back of my head. I thought of last night's events. Was she real, I thought to myself, Did I really see my dead mom? It was too real for it to be a dream.

I walked to my bathroom, and splashed my face with cold water.

As I did this repeatedly, a small knock came from my glass window. I dried my face with a near by towel and made my way to the window. Of course it was none other than Benny- I opened the window and as soon as I did Benny popped him head inside.

"Had a crazy dream - can't explain - meet me at the Sandlot!" He commanded before diving out of the window.

I was a bit puzzled at how Benny was out of breath, like he had ran a mile before he came to my window. Crazy dream, I guess I wasn't the only one who had a crazy night. Since Benny's appearance did strike some curiosity in me, so I got ready quick.

It didn't take very long for me to do my routine; I whipped up a quick outfit in no time- white shirt, black and white shorts, red belt, and denim jacket. Before leaving my house I slipped into a pair white converse and dashed down the stairs.

Luckily for me, my brothers and father were still asleep so there were no delays. Also I'm pretty sure I was loud the night before, so it was a good thing their out like a light.

The early breeze beat against my cheeks as I ran down the streets. Knowing the Benny Rodriguez I know he had already gathered all the boys at the Sandlot already. I'm a matter of minutes I was at the Sandlot.

All the boys, including Benny, were the end of baseball field- by the huge fence. When the boys caught sight of me they began yelling my name at me, calling me over. I jogged over to them, utterly confused about why Benny brought us all here. It obviously wasn't to play our usual baseball game.

"Liv, Liv, tell Benny he's being crazy!" Squints demanded as I walked up to the group.

"Yeah, Yeah, Liv tell him he's goin' to far." Yeah-yeah added.

I turned to Benny, who was a few feet away, facing the fence. Benny was staring down at the fence as if he was challenging it.

I asked, "Benny what exactly is going on? What are the boys talking about?"

Smalls spoke up saying Benny was going over the fence, and getting the baseball back.

My eye's nearly popped from thier sockets! Thoughts rushed in and out of my mind thinking of possibilities to why he was doing this. Was he doing this to prove himself? Did he feel pity towards Smalls and I? Or did he simply have a death wish? All were possible answers to the question I longed to answer.

All the boys protested- begging Benny not to go head to head with the savaged beast behind the fence. As the boys continuously protested, a box by Benny's feet caught my eye. It was a green shoe box that held Benny's old shoes. I looked down at Benny's feet to see he was wear P.F. Flyers; shoes guaranteed to make a kid run faster and jump higher.

"Benny wait, it's okay" Smalls said. "It's my fault. You don't have to do this."

Benny lookedat the fence then back at Smalls and said, "Yeah I do Smalls. I have to do this."

I walked up to him and stared him dead in the eye's. "So you're really doing this?" Benny just nodded his head as he glanced at me.

I had recognized a certain look in his eyes, it was the the same look I had first met the boys and Benny. It was a look of determination and the will power to prove what I could do.