CHAPTER IV

The train ride was actually better than the previous one. The one that I had taken to get to Reedson boulevard. That was now two days ago. Yeah, two days had already passed. Tess was a little better now, but I had never seen her like this, this weak and fragile.

  We reached the station in the evening and had dinner at a restaurant close by. We later walked up a hill. There were a few houses and farms scattered about here and there.

  Asking at some houses we found out that there was only one hotel and it was at the foot of the hill. We thanked them and made our way back down and checked into a room.

  'I'm exhausted. I'm gonna go to bed, okay?'said Tess with a loud yawn.

  'Yeah okay, you go ahead. I'll go to bed later. I need to check out this place and think of a way to disguise ourselves. You know, so that the police won't ever find out even if they cross us.'

  'Well, fine. Any ways, all you do is work. I hope we get time to relax sometime.'

  She went into the kitchen as I headed outside the door. It was quiet in the corridors of the hotel. Everyone must have gone to bed ashes ago. Well, at least the few people that live here at the moment.

  I checked all the rooms. Only about five of them had people living in them. The others were empty. That would probably explain why the place was no poorly kept. The paint was peeling off the walls. There cobwebs and layers of dust around. I almost sneezed.

  I went out through the front door into the little compound the had in front. This was rather impressive. Other was a variety of flowers, trees and plants growing in the yard. All of them were perfectly in order. Not a plant was out of place. The gardener must be pretty good at his job.

  The night was a starry one. The stars were beautiful today. Not that I stare the stars every day. The wind was cool against my arms. It was a windy day.

  My mind drifted back on the actual reason I came out here. We should get some wigs and talk in a different accent maybe. Or should we should do some thing different. I don't know. We could also change identities that say, maybe, were related some how or just say were business partners or something.

  I kept these options in my mind so that I could later on discuss it with Tess.

  I checked my watch. It was getting quite late, so I decided to go to bed. I went back in and climbed one staircase. Our rented room was in one corner of the first floor.

  I entered and then locked the door shut. I went into the kitchen and drank a glass of water. Relax, she had said. I would be glad to, right after the police are off our trails.

  I like keeping my mind occupied with things. It makes things easier for me to remember. I usually go over the day, recap the things I've done and think about things I have to do in the next few days.

  I entered the room, thinking about stuff as usual and was met by a breathtaking view. The room was spotless and Tess was fast asleep on one end of the bed. She looked even more beautiful when she slept. She looked peaceful. Her hair was tied in a loose ponytail at the back of her head and was spread all over the pillow. She had turned on the air-con and had covered herself with a single blanket. She constantly reminded me about someone of my past.

  I lay on the other end of the bed. I didn't require the blanket that was neatly folded and kept for me. I enjoyed the cool air.

  I remember the time before, when Tess didn't know a thing about house work and keeping things in an orderly manner. I was the one who taught her. We used to spend a lot of time together before, when things were not so hectic.

  I suppose I must have fallen asleep because I suddenly felt someone trying to wake me up. I woke up blinking, trying to blink away the sleep from my eyes.

  'Come on wake up sleepy head. We've got to get to work. I knew you needed to sleep early so could get up.'

  It was Tess. She had a pout on her face, her hair was tied up in a high bun and she looked really cute. Such a good start for the morning. I could only stare.

  'What are you staring at?'she asked, with a blush on her face. 'well, what are you waiting for? We have to leave, remember?'

  I rubbed my eyes with my hands for some time and then left the bed and went to freshen up.

  'Okay, okay. You don't have to be so commanding you know, jeez.'

  'Yeah yeah everybody knows you're just nothing  without me. Now go and freshen up fast, we really don't have time to waste. Remember,'time waits for no man.' Huh?'

  'Yeah sure. I remember I was the one who told you that. Or did you forget?'

  I was now yelling from the bathroom. She was silent for a while. Yes! I got her! We used to argue like this all the time before.

  'Whatever,'she mumbled with a sigh,'I'm gonna pack up the things. Just come quickly. It's already quite late. It took me almost an hour to wake you up. You really haven't changed you know. You're still a sleepy head.'

  Then she became quiet. I figured she had gone to do the stuff she said she would.

  I was ready in ten minutes. Tess had everything ready by then, so we checked out of the hotel and were on our way to the city.
  'So should we buy some wigs?'I asked Tess.

  'Well, we should. But the police would still be able to find out. We should also buy some hair colour and colour the wigs. It might be better than just the wig.

  'Yeah, good idea. Why didn't I think of that?'

  'Oh! That's easy. It's 'cause you're dumb.'

  There was a mischievous smile on her face. Hmm... She's being naughty now. Really how many arguments does she want to have in a day?

  'I'm dumb?No, no you've got it all wrong, you're the one that's dumb. Well, you know what people say, dumb people call others dumb.'

  'Hey! Look, there's a wig shop over there. Let's go, let's go.'

  'Yeah right. Way to go. All you know to do is change the subject.'

  I suppose I can never get really annoyed with her.

  We headed on our way to the small shop at the corner. I just hoped we got the wigs and stuff quickly, shopping is another thing I really don't like.