Chapter 8 - Not Even A Scratch

- Hit me with blow after blow but I won't bleed -

Continuation From Max's POV
I sat in the waiting room anxiously. It had been 15 minutes since several doctors had heard my yells and rushed Violet into the emergency room. I was terrified.
I thought about who could've shot her. Who would shoot Violet? Were they even aiming for Violet?
And why?

I lifted my head up in alert as I heard the swinging motion of the emergency room doors. A figure dressed in black with sky blue hair walked out.
Violet.
Immediately, I jumped up out of the chair I was sitting in and raced to her, pulling her into a warm, protective hug. I sighed, relieved to have her in my arms, safe and sound.
"Thank god you're alive..." I mumbled into her hair. I felt her tug on the back of my shirt.
"You didn't have to stay..." I couldn't see her face, but I could hear in her voice that she was smiling. The thought of seeing her happy expression sent a relaxing sensation through my body.
She loosened the hug a little so I could see her face. She looked up at me, a small, warm smile spreading g across her face.
"I'm glad you're here," she said softly.
I lowered my head and looked into her eyes, everything around us becoming a blur.
"I'll always be here, Vee."
I leaned closer and she lifted her face until our lips touched in a soft, sweet kiss. The taste of her 'sugar-coated' lips was so inviting and addictive.
After a little while, we slowly drew apart. For a moment, neither of us spoke. Just gazed into each others eyes.
"Are you sure you're alright?," I asked, still feeling anxious.
"Honestly, I don't feel a thing," she responded simply.
I stared at her astonished.
"You were shot in the centre of your chest, Violet," I said, "How... how are you even remotely okay?!"
She said nothing for a moment and just smile. The smile looked partly forced. Something similar to a pitiful smile.
"I may look alive and happy on the outside, Max," she said plainly, "But most of the time, I'm dead inside. Completely emotionless. The pain is so agonising that now it's just... numb."
We stood in silence for a moment. I didn't know what to say. There was nothing to say.
I looked away.
"Let's head back to the orphanage... the cars outside... there won't be another word about this... especially in front of the others," I said.
She nodded, but she said nothing. I held her hand and lead her outside the hospital to the parking lot.

Back To Original POV (Violet)
We walked towards Max's car. I felt a huge mixture of emotions right now, yet pain - considering I was literally shot in the chest - was not one of them. The strongest emotions I felt were safety and admiration. I knew those feeling were because of Max's presence.
We got into the car and put our seat belts on. I looked at him and noticed that his gaze was fixed on the windscreen. I stared at him in confusion.
"The crack from the bullet... it... it's gone," he said in astonishment.
I looked at the windscreen. It was really strange how there was no mark from the bullet.
"We can figure that out later," I said calmly, "Let's just think about getting... getting home." The word sounded strange to me as I said it out loud, but a slight grin spread across Max's face. He said nothing and revved up the engine. Seconds later, we were on our way 'home'.

We arrived back at the orphanage less than an hour later. Max opened up the passenger seat door and let me step out after he'd gotten out of his door. He fiddled with the keys for a moment and then locked up the car. I looked up at the sky. Jeez, what time was it? It must've been late since the sun was going down and I could already see stars fading into the sky as it got darker.
We tiptoed quietly into the house and I looked up at a clock hanged on the wall. My eyes yes widened with shock. 10:49pm?! How did the time go by so quickly? Max turned to me, putting a finger to his lips, indicating to keep quiet.
"It's pretty late, everyone's already asleep," he whispered.
I nodded and we quietly crept up the stairs, trying not to make a sound. I walked into my room and he followed me in, closing the door behind him. I flopped on the bed, sighing. He walked over to me and sat on the side of the bed. I got the sense that he wanted to say but was hesitating.
I sat up on my knees and hugged him from behind.
"Tell me whatever it is that's on your mind," I said gently.
He held my hands and kissed them one after the other.
"I'm not sure if you're aware... but I'm so in love with you," he half mumbled. A grin crept across my face and I turned him around to face me, making him sit properly on the bed.
"You make it sound as if the times when you tried to make out with me were nothing," I said jokingly. I was expecting him to get all flustered like earlier in the store. But instead he just cuffed my face and pulled me closer to him gently. I felt his warm mouth press against my lips as he kissed me deeply. I felt my face burning but without any hesitation, I kissed him back. Time seemed to stop on the spot. It felt like our mouths had been pressed together for hours though it was only a few minutes. I couldn't believe what I was doing right now. I hasn't known Max long and I couldn't confirm that we were a couple yet... being embraced in his warm arms... feeling his lips against mine... his soft, gentle touch... all these feelings seemed mutual. I intended to keep them that way.
We gently pulled away from the kissed and exchanged a small smile at each other. He kissed my cheek and got up to leave.
"Goodnight, Vee," he smiled as he spoke the words and turned to leave.
"Stay with me," the words tumbled out of my mouth before I could stop them. He turned and looked at me, fixing his gaze on my flustered expression. He sighed and smiled. He walked back to the bed and laid down, pulling me down with him. He hugged me from behind and gave the back of my neck a quick kiss. I blushed, a warm feeling rushing down my spine. He pulled the sheets over us and let out a breath of relief. I had the feeling he was still thankful that I was well.
"Sweet dreams, my love," he said with a grin. Although I couldn't see his face, I could tell the was a smirk on his face.
"Goodnight, babe," I said softly. I once again felt that the things we were saying and doing... were mutual.
Feeling over joyed, I drifted off to sleep soon after Max did.
Max.
The guy who had my heart chained to him and didn't even realise himself.

- Does Love Exist? -

To be continued...