Chapter 9 - No Caller ID

- Can you see the insanity in my eyes? -

I woke up earlier than usual that morning. It was 7:00am. I never usually got up until 11:00am or sometimes even later so this was pretty new to me. I was about to get up to go to the bathroom when I was pulled back by a strong, warm force. I glanced over my shoulder to see Max. His eyes were closed and he was breathing gently against the back of my neck. A strand of hair fell over his face. The sight of him was beautiful. Breath taking.
I stared at his lips, remembering our kiss from last night. I could still taste him. My mouth watered. I turned away, refusing to let this new addiction get the better of me. I closed my eyes and let myself relax against Max's body.

"Morning Vee," Max mumbled as he began to wake up properly.
He held me closer to him from behind, wrapping his arms around my waist and began planting small, sweet kisses up my neck. Nothing out of lust. Just love and care.
A small smile spread across my face and I turned over to face him, leaning my head against the pillow, my hands placed neatly beside my head.
"Good morning," I half-whispered.
He smiled lazily and pulled me closer until our lips met in a gentle kiss. I felt myself craving his incredible taste. I wanted more of him. But I was scared.
He pulled away not long after and gave me a warm smile. He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and kissed my forehead.
"How did you sleep?," he asked, I could tell by his tone that he still hadn't properly woken up yet.
"Best I've slept in a long time," I replied with a smile before placing a kiss on his cheek.
His smile turned into a slight grin and he ran his hand through my hair. Then he said something unexpected.
"I was thinking... maybe we could go out somewhere tonight... like a... date?"
A slight blush crept across his cheeks. I could see the nervous expression he was trying so hard to hide.
I smiled and laughed a little.
"Sounds awesome," I enthused, "I'll totally go with you."
He smiled and placed a quick kiss against my lips.
"Cool," he said plainly but it wasn't hard to tell how happy he was.
I sat up, forcing myself out of his warm embrace and rubbed my eyes. I glanced over at the clock. 9:00am.
Heh. Guess time goes fast when the moment is so perfect, huh?

I got up out of bed and strolled to the bathroom where I began my daily routine.
As I reached for my towel after washing my face, I heard my phone ring. I glanced at it where it was right next to the sink. I looked at the contact name.

'No Caller ID'

Usually, I'd think this was weird. But honestly, I've been through enough shit lately to not care about this. I answered the phone hesitantly.
"Hello?"
For a split second I heard nothing on the other line. Until.
"You haven't seen the last of me," came a voice I didn't recognise.
I froze. I suddenly felt fear wriggle through me.
"Who is this?" I breathed.
The voice gave a dark chuckle.
"Bang bang bang," he whispered into the mic before hanging up.
My mind went back to when I was shot yesterday... how I'd felt nothing... how I'd survived... how Max was the last thing I saw...

Max.

If he knew what I was feeling now, perhaps he'd think it was ridiculous... maybe it was just someone playing a prank? I rolled my eyes and continued to get ready for the day ahead.

As I walked out the bathroom, wearing the clothes I bought yesterday, my makeup carefully applied, my phone rang again. I growled under my breath and answered the call from the 'No Caller ID' again. I felt Max's confused gaze on me but I just stared into the distance.
"Hello?" I said irritatedly.
"That's a nice black beanie ya got on there~" the voice replied.
I stood in silence, unsure of what to say or do. I felt like my heart had stopped on the spot. How did they know what I was wearing? I frantically raced to the window. There was nobody out there.
I ended the call and put my phone in my back pocket. I was so deep in my fearful thoughts that I hadn't even noticed Max come up behind me. He was wrapping his arms around my waist again, pulling me to him. He kissed my head. I felt how fast his heart was beating in his chest against my back. He seemed worried.
"Who was that on the phone babe?," he mumbled into my hair.
I shook my head, not wanting to explain what happened yet.
"Wrong number," I sighed.
He didn't seem convinced.
"Is everything okay, Vee?," he said in a concerned tone, holding me closely and tightly in a protective hug. He kissed my cheek and continued to kiss me down my neck to my shoulder.
I leaned my head back, letting him proceed. I placed my hands on top of his and gave a sigh in enjoyment.
"Everything's fine. Everything's perfect with you here."
He smiled and spun me round, wrapping an arm around my waist, holding my hand with his free hand.
"Then I'll always be here," he said with a smirk.
I wrapped my free arm around his neck and kissed him passionately, closing my eyes. You'd think that judging on the position we were in that we'd just finished performing some shitty dance routine. But no. We'd just had a sweet moment, followed by a sweet kiss. A kiss that I only wished could last forever. But that only happens in movies.
We pulled away after a few minutes and gazed into each others eyes, smiling at each other.
"I love you."
We spoke at the same time.
We leaned in for another kiss when we were interrupted by the sound of my phone. This time though, it wasn't a call, but a text.
I pulled away from Max and picked up the phone. He peered at it over my shoulder.
"Who is it?" He asked.
I didn't answer. The number was blocked. I opened the message and felt my heart stop on the spot.
The number had sent me a photo. It was of me and Max kissing in that position we had been in moments ago. There was a text under the message.

'You're being watched -Xx'

I looked over at Max. We had the same expression.
Fear.

- Can you hear the horror in my voice? -

To be continued...