Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

...and then shoved his burly fist deep into the pocket of his coat. A moment later his hand came out, empty.

What? The Squad all turned confused faces to one another.

"Why'd you do that, mate? Are you saving some for later or somthin'?" Boomerang ventured.

"Because he likes them," Bane said. "Don't you Mr. Tickles?" He patted his pocket happily. The pocket of Bane's coat started shaking, a bulging form squirming and writhing from within.

"What the fuck...?" Deadshot whispered.

Bane's gaze returned to them. "Aren't any of you going to get anything?" Bane asked pleasantly.

Two Weeks Later:

"Congratulations, squad." Waller said, her voice coming through surprisingly clear from the ipad Bane was holding. "You're getting a change of scenery. We could use your skills cleaning up a war torn area in Yemen. Rebel extremists have taken hold of a city that we need the local government to have back. I know, it's nothing like you're used to dealing with..."

She was referring to their last missions. The first had pitted them up against an evil witch and her brother. They'd lost Diablo in that battle. And then there had been their second mission...in which Flag had paid the price of his life to save them.

Waller smiled and continued. "...but I think it's time to give you all a test run."

"Yeah," Deadshot said, eyeing Waller with distrust. "If we do this, is there going to be anything we get out of it?"

Waller considered each of them carefully, her eyes cold and calculating. "We'll see how you do on the mission before we talk about allowing any privileges. I'll let Bane and Harris explain everything else. Good luck team." The screen went black.

"Oh, goody!" Harley cried. "We're gonna go traveling!" She skipped over to Bane and gave his bicep a squeeze. "I can't wait to see you in action, sugar, I bet you're a terror!" She cackled.

Bane looked down at Harley, who was smiling up at him. The look on his face did not alter in the slightest.

Harris cleared his throat and then gave them all a forced smile. "Well, if anyone has any questions, I'll answer them on the way there, Waller's adamant that you leave immediately."

Deadshot, Boomerang, and Croc nodded and began heading towards the exit.

Bane held up a finger. "Just one moment."

They paused.

"While we are on this mission..." Bane addressed them. "I expect you to carry out my orders. I am your leader and therefore responsible for everything. If things go badly, it comes back on me. It will not go badly if each of you does exactly as I say. But understand this...if you disobey me, I am not just going to click some button." Bane crossed his arms and considered each of them sternly. "If you fail me...I will make sure you live to feel the consequences of your actions, though my method will most likely have the same end result as Waller's. Am I being clear?"

"Yes, sir!" Harley cried, giving him a salute.

"Understood." Deadshot said.

"Aye." Boomerang scratched his beard.

Killer Croc merely nodded his head.

"Yes, sir," said Harris. He had no reason to do so, but did simply because he was intimidated.