Maverick's Back

I grab my drink off the wooden counter and take the steps two at a time to the second level. The sun streams through the windows, looking down onto the buzzing avenue full of rush hour cars. Without pause, I stride across the room and sit in my regular booth, which I have been missing for five months now. Sliding into the wooden booth, I notice a girl sitting alone in the corner booth with its curtains drawn back. Sipping my caramel macchiato, I lean back against the booth and take in her profile. Something about her draws me in. Perhaps it's the inventor in me staring at the blinking cursor against her blank computer screen. Or perhaps it's the brown hair masking her facial features which remind me of simpler days full of sunshine like the rays penetrating the room today.

I grab a stack of sticky notes out of my satchel and my smoothest pen. I scratch out the usual message of encouragement I give to my coworkers on big presentation days. "You can do it." Scribbling out the words, I chug the rest of my coffee and stand up. The girl doesn't notice my movements or anything happening around her. A slight sigh escapes her and she gently closes the computer. I crumple up the sticky note and toss it into the garbage along with my cup. Glancing toward her one final time, I pause to consider talking to her. Instead, I jog down the stairs and head out into the small city I've missed on all my adventures. Maverick's back, city girl.