Anna

Annabelle

I gawk where he disappeared, stunned. My booth, as I call it, feels violated and no longer just mine. Jess appears a few minutes later during a lull of customers to clean up leftover cups and plates.

"You okay," she asks, "or should I get a ghost exterminator here?"

"Who was that?" I point at the top of the stairs.

Jess looks confused for a few seconds before answering. "You must mean Maverick. He is something, isn't he?" She slides into the booth, sitting where he sat just a few moments ago. "He's always looking for a new adventure."

"But he took my coffee." My brain can't seem to form complex sentences with the invasion of routine.

"No, honey," Jess says, patting my hand, "He ordered a black coffee for you."

"What?"

"I think you need to talk to him about this."

"I barely know him! He came in here about taking my coffee, made me drink sugar, and then left! And I'm supposed to talk to him?"

"Well, yes. Comfort zones can sometimes be... a little too comfortable." Jess answers and stands up to finish cleaning before the next big rush. "I'll try to give you a warning next time he comes in." She heads down the stairs with the cups of coffee and plates. I pull out my laptop and spend the day searching for Mavericks living in the city.

.                                            .                                                .                                                 .

I purposely wait in my apartment, looking down at the street, until I see him walking. Today, I want to surprise him. I wait in line to order my coffee, but see Jess wave me up to the counter in front of everyone else.

"Already got it for you, hon." She taps a paper cup with my name on it before heading back to the rest of the customers. Mumbles float around until she tells them all to be patient. "If y'all came everyday like she did, maybe I'd do the same for you." I smile at her spunk.

Heading up the staircase, I stop halfway. Reaching into my bag, I pull out the inspiring note from a stranger to give me confidence.

You're an amazing writer. I believe you can do anything. Just get out from this booth, A.

My eyes scan the words before closing. Taking a deep breath, I stuff the note back into my bag, open my eyes, and head up the rest of the way. Maverick sits in the corner booth, my booth, scrolling through his phone. A few steps before I reach the booth, he looks up. Chocolate brown eyes peer up at me. A lock of matching brown hair falls into his face, but he brushes it back into place behind his ear.

"Hey," his smooth voice floats toward me. I take the rest of the steps and sit down in the booth without saying a word. "Black coffee?"

"Yes. And you?" I internally slap myself for that creative response.

"The daily special." I must have a blank stare because Maverick starts laughing before continuing. "A flat white today."

"I knew that," I tell him trying to recover myself. I believe you can do anything. "So, you order me coffee, invade my booth, and return. I believe I deserve to know a little something about you, right?"

"What do you want to know?" He replies without pause. Maverick sits back and uncrosses his arms, completely open.

"Um, what do you do?"

"For work or in life? Two completely different things."

"For work, since that's what matters." I immediately regret adding on the final section of my answer. I feel like a jerk.

Maverick leans forward, hands clasped, and starts talking. "I work for my father in corporate management. Had I a choice, however, I say what I do with my life outside of those office walls is more important than what I do within them. In management, I can create a lot of enemies with the other employees, but one of my goals in life is to make friends. Or at the very least, make acquaintances whom I can rely on if I ever need to. I could work my entire life and never make a friend. But in my dying moment, who will be there to stand by my bed and tell me it's all going to be okay? That's why in life, I make friends and go on adventures."

I sit back against the booth and take in what he just said. "So, why don't you just quit your job?"

"I can't."

"Well, you obviously don't like it."

"Is it that obvious?" Maverick asks. He lowers his eyes to his cup of coffee he now holds between his hands before taking a sip. "I guess I don't hate my job. It does pay for my trips, which is what I really need right now. Can I ask you a question?"

I did not expect this when I left my apartment later this morning. "Um, I guess so?" I grab my black coffee and take a few gulps to give me time to think through an answer.

"Why didn't you ask my name?" He smiles with straight, white teeth showing and a hint of a laugh behind it. "I mean, normally that's the first thing to ask a stranger."

He knows he caught me off guard, until I realize he never asked for mine. "Why didn't you ask for mine?" In spite of the alien feeling beginning in my stomach, I smile while grabbing my coffee and bag. "See you tomorrow, Maverick."

Sliding out of the booth, my smile grows even larger as I head out the door first. I stop outside the doors on the street to look up at the coffeeshop's windows. Maverick looks down onto the street with a smile of his own. He opens his mouth and fogs up the window. Confused, I wait to see what he will write. His fingers trace a familiar pattern, leaving off the ending: Anna. He never stops staring at me while writing those four letters. I never stop staring back until he leaves the view of the window.

I turn around and head across the street. "New boyfriend already?" Jules asks, arms crossed, when I reach the apartment building.

"Not even close. I just met him," I answer. Shaking my head, I open the doors myself instead of waiting for Jules to do his job.

"Seemed pretty familiar to me, Anne." He finishes opening the door and holds it open.

"Don't call me Anne." Without waiting for Jules' reply, I head toward the stairs for a long walk up.