Annabelle's Note

Annabelle

"Annabelle, it's closing time."

I snap out of the trance my blinking cursor put me in to look up at Jess. "Sorry, Jess. I'll be right out." Shutting the laptop, my fingers brush the writer sticker I put on there years ago when I received it.

"No luck again today?" She picks up my coffee cup and plate from the table. Instead of vocalizing my failure, I simply shake my head no in answer. "There's always tomorrow." She smiles and turns to head down the stairs. Her ballet flats hit something on the floor, and I see a crumpled piece of paper near the trash can.

I pack up the rest of my bag and walk over to the trash can to pick up the paper. Bending down, I notice writing covering the crumpled paper crane's wings. Carefully, I unfold the bird to reveal a note.

You're an amazing writer. I believe you can do anything. Just get out from this booth, A.

I look around the second floor of the coffeeshop, but no one else accompanies me this late. Yet, this note, this paper crane, seems perfectly written for me. Instead of throwing the note away, I fold it into squares and stuff it into my bag next to my laptop. Heading down the stairs, I absentmindedly wave at Jess before heading onto the street. Taking a few seconds to check the side road for traffic, I cross the street into my apartment building. The doorman, Jules, says hello.

"Hey," I reply, looking up.

"Everything alright, Anne?" His forehead wrinkles in concern. He leans in and his familiar scene cocoons us. Jules places his hand on my arm, thumb drawing circles in my cardigan. For a second, I lean into the familiarity, allowing this moment.

"Yeah, yeah. Just..." I begin to tell him before remembering our broken past. An icy tone creeps into the edges of my voice. "I'm fine, Jules." He takes a step back and brushes a black curl out of his face.

"Right. Goodnight, Annabelle." Jules' face returns to the stoic doorman default as other residents file in around me, laughing and smiling. He simply nods at their thanks.

"Goodnight, Jules." I head over to the elevator and light up the white button to red. My hand reaches inside my bag to brush over imprinted letters on the yellow note. The ding announcing the elevator's arrival makes me jump. I press for my floor's number and stand against the back wall, alone in the elevator, staring as the doors close on Jules' figure.