What If... #6

What if you found the greatest meal, the best book, your true love? What if you found the pinnacle of bliss in your life and you never wanted to let it go? But don't we all eventually take that last bite, read that last page, say those last words (or, in this fandom's case, sometimes do all of those things at the same time)?

Is the greatest happiness on this Earth worth the bittersweet sorrow that comes when it's over? Is the greatest moment, hour, month, year, decade of your life worth the shadow of loss that will haunt you for the rest of your life? Another meal might be great, another book might be amazing, another person might be heart-stopping... but it won't ever be the same, will it? Wouldn't nostalgia put a damper on future experiences, even if the later experience was objectively better? How do you stop yourself from making comparisons?

How do you forget the highlight of your life? Is it better to have experienced that fleeting feeling and watched it fly away, or would you rather have not known it at all? Would it be better to not have that euphoria and heartache be part of your self?

Is it better to have loved and lost, or is it better to have never loved at all? Would it be better to deprive yourself of good food, good books, and good company until the absolutely perfect circumstances are upon you so you could try  to make it last until eternity? Is this ever realistic? How would you know it was the perfect circumstance? Is the experience of loss an important part of your self, or does it damage you indelibly? What if you never had that perfect moment, or if it passed you by in your hesitation, your greed?

How will you ever know if you never try? How would that emptiness feel? Would you notice the absence of bliss every day, wondering what it could feel like if you gave in to temptation, or would it only bother you when your life begins to come to an end?

Would you be envious of those around you who jumped in headfirst and found their perfection? How would you feel if your perfect partner(s) was/were fearless and explored the possibilities against all odds? Would you blame them? Hate them? Shun them? Would you deny both of you that opportunity? Where do you draw the line for the meaning of perfection without hurting yourself?

---

When Philosoraptor has you picturing inappropriate things in public and you're laughing like a child.