//one//

"earth to sophia!" i wave my hand in front of her bright blue eyes

"earth to sophia!" i wave my hand in front of her bright blue eyes. she has her chin rested on her hand, as she gazes into the distance. when i get her attention, she shakes herself out of the trance and blinks a few times.

"huh?" she asks, still dazed.

"stop looking at your boyfriend for one minute and pay attention to your needy best friends." amelia groans, her mouth full of chocolate pudding. i scrunch my nose up at her lack of table manners.

"of course," sophia says, "what could be more important than movie night with my bestest friends in the entire world." her words drip with sarcasm and she rolls her eyes while chuckling at us.

"we all- well at least tavia and i- know that friendship bonding is important for our emotional stability!" amelia waves her chocolate covered spoon in the air before dipping it back into the nearly-empty cup of sugar.

"we also know that none of us are anywhere near stable in anything, for that matter." i chuckle, and they laugh in agreement. a familiar head of curly hair walks by our table, making me instantly annoyed. i grab one of sophia's napkins, balling it up, and chuck it at his head.

"what the hell?" he says, turning around. his face floods with irritation when he realizes it's me.

i give him a fake smile and wave, popping a piece of gum into my mouth.

"chewing tabacco now, are you? not even surprised." he scoffs and shifts his weight to his other foot, running a hand through his hair.

"it's bubblegum, idiot." I roll my eyes and blow a small bubble, letting it pop.

"whatever." he grumbles and walks away to his group of friends.

"i can't believe you genuinely like one of them." amelia looks over at sophia, who has returned to her original position, staring at jaeden. she's had a crush on him since sixth grade, when he helped her pick up her stuff after she fell. four years later, we're sophomores in high school and she's still caught up on him.

"shut up, and let me stare in peace." sophia sighs dreamily. amelia and i groan, knowing we would have to remind her about the plans multiple times in advance.

"anyways," i turn to amelia, chewing more quietly now, "movie night. leon the professional, lolita, the outsiders. tomorrow."

"mhm." she hums in agreement, this time keeping her mouthful of food shut.

--

"see you guys tomorrow. text me." i say to amelia and sophia. they head in opposite directions, walking to the different beats of the songs playing through their headphones.

i kick a fallen pinecone until i lose it at the end of the block, where i see wyatt and his friends cornering someone into a fence. i take my headphones out and overhear them telling him not to mess with them ever again. i storm in their direction and stand between them and the boy.