14.) Leave Me In The Dark

Kallista's P.O.V

Here I am, laying in my room alone, thinking about what the hell happened tonight.

For some reason I have this strong urge to google my mum's name and see if anything comes up about her.

I pulled my laptop out and flipped it open, as I waited for it to load I began getting super anxious, which never really happens to me.

I type in Monica Lynn Palmer, and almost instantly pictures of my mum and grandmother popped up, but they looked like they were from ages ago.

I clicked on one of the links and it pulled up a news article with the title "Salem Claims Another", which really caught my attention.

It was a hand drawn photo of my mum, and grandmother watching someone get burned at the stake, and the person being burned was listed as mum's brother Nathanial Palmer, he was found guilty of witch craft.

"What?" I whispered to myself, and kept on reading.

Monica and Geraldine Palmer watch in fear as their beloved brother and son is found guilty and killed for his crimes of witch craft. What does this mean for them? Do they have the blood of a witch too? Only time will tell. Article written 1879.

"Mum's not mortal?" I asked myself out loud.

"Why has she been lying to me? What about Nate?" I asked myself out loud, probably sound completely insane.

I don't really know what possessed me to do it, but I grabbed my phone and dialed my mum's number even though it is nearly three in the morning and she would probably ignore me, like usual.

"Kal? What do you want? It's late." My mum answered.

"Why didn't you tell me about your brother?" I asked bluntly.

"What?" She asked, sounding surprised.

"My uncle Nathanial? Why didn't I know about him?" I asked.

"Where did you hear that?" She asked me.

"I read it from an article about the Salem witch trials. Mum, have you seriously been keeping this all a secret from me for all these years? I can't believe you would leave me in the dark about that." I snapped.

"Honey, ever since Nath's death no one in our family has practiced witch craft. Our family has lost all power now. I'm normal again, and your brother will always be. You're father is the only reason you are the way you are." My mum said, trying to remain calm.

"I still deserved to know. I was worried sick that you were all gonna end up dead." I snapped at her.

"Stop worrying Kalli. Everything is gonna be fine. I'm going to bed now, good night." Mum said before hanging up.

I took my phone away from my ear and placed it down on the table next to me, before looking up and seeing Michael standing in the door way.

I stared at him, waiting for him to say something.

But he doesn't.

"So, my mum's not mortal I guess." I said.

"I always knew there was something about her that was off. I could never see her true self though, she must really, really hate being a witch to give up her power like that." Michael said and I shrugged.

"I don't get it. Why would she do that? Why would she wanna be normal?" I asked.

"How long has she been living like a mortal?" Michael asked.

"Since the trials in the eighteen seventy's." I said and he let out a sigh.

"If a witch goes a hundred years without losing her power, she won't pass it on to the next generation. That's why your brother is normal. And whatever day would mark her birthday that she originally stopped aging at, she will begin to age again and she will lose her immortality forever." Michael said.

"She stopped practicing it in eighteen seventy-nine, so nineteen seventy-nine would be her new birth year, and she looks like she's in her twenties here, which means she's already aging again." I said and Michael nodded.

"You think she's still safe from Andrew because she was immortal when we were born?" I asked and Michael nodded.

"For now she's safe, it'll eventually catch up to her though."