Chapter Seven: Beginnings

I don't get a chance to talk to Jonah until Saturday.

Turns out he was actually really sick, and didn't have a flu, after all- he was actually

on the verge of iron poisoning- and had to stay at the hospital for a few days.

The doctors had no idea how, but they did some treatment that I can't remember- and Jonah is now back to being his abnormal, annoying self.

I'm observing some orange leaves being blown across the street by a sudden gust of wind when I feel a tap on my arm.

"Did you see this?" Jonah's voice pulls me from my mindless wonder and when I turn my head towards him, I see his hand pointing to a street lamp, where there hangs a yellow-paged flyer.

MISSING

The bold font immediately catches my eye and I walk quickly towards it. An image of a smiling elderly woman stares back at me as my eyes scan the sheet. I immediately recognise her as the librarian that helped me set up my membership.

I read the words on the page out loud, shaking my head in disbelief. "Anne Cooper. . . Last seen walking home from her job at Harvey Library. . . 23rd October"

"I don't know how to feel about that," I admit, and Jonah nods.

"Me too, I've known her for my whole life."

I furrow my eyebrows as I look down at my black boots.. "I-I hope she's okay."

It's probably some really terrible coincidence, but I can't help but think about what Julie told me about people going missing in Harvey in the past.

"Hot chocolate time?" Jonah asks, and I give him a small smile.

*

The bell above the door rings as we enter the cafe, and I find it strange to see that Julie's not there to greet us like she usually does.

"Julie?" Jonah calls out, but there's no reply. "Why would she leave the door open if she's not here?"

"Maybe she just needed to run out for something," I suggest, and Jonah shrugs. "We can come back later."

We step out of the cafe, and with nothing else to do, I realise that I may have to return home soon.

I think Jonah sees the desperation on my face, because he steps in front of me and squints, as if examining my expression.

"There's something wrong, and you are going to tell me. Come on."

*

Jonah twists the key, and his front door swings open with a squeak.

From where I stand on his porch, I can see dim lighting shining on mahogany wooden flooring, and

a narrow stairway leading into a black abyss.

"Enter my lair at your own risk," Jonah bows to me as I step inside.

"Wow," I observe. "You appear randomly to me all the time. You read horror books. You had iron poisoning a.k.a. you probably drank blood, and now you have a lair? Just admit it Frost, you're a vampire."

"You caught me," he teases, mirth dancing in his eyes.

Closing the door, he walks over to a small, wooden table that sits beneath a large, black framed mirror, and flicks a switch which was placed on the wall beside it. Light floods the small hallway, giving me a better look at everything within.

To the left of the staircase, the hall leads a short way down to two other doors which are shut, and on the wall where the staircase resides, I spot another door- also shut. The walls are simply painted white, and the only form of decoration apart from the mirror is a fake plant sitting on the wooden table beneath the mirror.