Chapter Nineteen: The Devil

JONAH'S P.O.V.

The adrenaline in me has worn off, and now, the pain is returning to my limbs. The only thing motivating me to keep going is the thought that we can finish this once and for all, tonight.

I hold my bad arm against my chest, feeling the way in which my bone is pointing at a very wrong angle, and my ribs burn with each step I take. It takes everything I have not fall to the ground.

The darkness messes with my senses, and I have to focus on Nic's breathing and footsteps to stay in the right direction.

"Come on, Jonah," she says. "Please keep up."

I don't answer, but for her, for my Dad, I keep going.

I think about what Nyx told me so that I can distract myself from the pain. I think about Julie and how she's responsible for  what happened to Mom. I think about how she's been feeding me blood, thinking that by doing so, it's going to keep me safe. I think about how she's been crazy this entire time, and it's bone-chilling to know that someone can hide something so terrifying for so long. If Julie could hide that, then god knows who else could be hiding things from me. How do I even know if anything is real anym-

I come to a stop when I crash into Nyx's back, which sends me flying backwards. I catch myself against the wall with my good arm, and just about stop myself from falling.

"Nic? What are you doing?"

"Dance with me," Nic's voice is void of all expression. I don't know where she is, but I can hear her footsteps coming toward me. I feel a hand on my shoulder, and it travels down my good arm, catching my hand. She laces her fingers through mine, and I know that something isn't right.

"Nic, please stop. What's going on?"

"I want to dance," she says. "Can't you hear the music? It's so beautiful and you're so handsome and I want to dance with you forever and ever and ever."

I know that I need to act fast. The smoke hasn't caught up to us yet, but I know that we need to get going now or else it will. I go with the first plan that comes to mind and pray that it works.

"Yeah, sure," I reply. "We can dance. But can't you wait until another song comes on? I don't really like this one."

"Okay," Nyx says. "Okay, okay, okay."

With our hands still intertwined, I begin to lead her forward.

Please let us find a way out soon. Please. Please. Please.

An ear piercing scream fills the air which causes both Nyx and I to jump.

"Jonah?" Nyx cries. "What just happened? Did it happen again? Oh my god, I'm going crazy. Was that Mom's scream? It sounded like it"

I squeeze her hand to reassure her that I'm there, but I'm still weary that she could flip at any second.

"It's okay, Nic," I whisper. "We just need to keep walking."

She stops. "No, we can't. The scream came from over here."

I feel her move in front of me and she begins to drag my arm. We move sideways and that's when she lets go of me. I hear the sound of metal being hit.

"It's a door," she whispers. "I think we're nearly there."

I hear her feel around for a moment before she lets out a tiny cry of relief.

The sound of metal opening against stone is a sound that I never imagined in a million years would make me happy. Light floods around me and I feel myself squeezing my eyes shut as the contrast between the light and the dark hit me at full force.