Chapter Twenty Four: Endings

Dry heaving, I pull myself up and break into a run. My chest is constricting as I realise that I once again, lost my mind, and there was nothing I could do to prevent it or stop it once it occurred. There is no game any more. There never even was a game. Stefan Dean is just relishing in the fact that he is alive once again and has his power back.

I want to find Jonah and get the hell away from all of this. There's no way that we can stop this- not when there is a psychopath roaming around us, doing as he pleases.

But Jonah is dead and I know that I am the only one that can leave. My conscience isn't going to let me do that, however. Not when there is a chance that I can save Mom. She's not dead, and that alone is enough to keep me going.

While I was dancing with Stefan, I must have lost track of time, because the black night sky is beginning to turn to a deep blue, and I know that dawn is quickly approaching. Even though I feel like the game has lost it's meaning and that no matter what I do will be a fail, I know that I have to try something. I need to stick to my original plan, because it is the only plan that I've got.

I need to get to the end of the woods, and then, I need to run for about twenty minutes until I get to either the town hall, or Drew Dean's home. . . I don't even know where that is.

But still, at least it's some sort of plan. It's better than nothing.

A drop of rain hits my nose and I curse at the fact that I'm probably going to have to run the rest of my journey in another rain storm.

It all happens in less than ten seconds.

The sky grows darker as black clouds form in the sky, and a ripple of thunder rolls across Harvey.

A flash of lighting.

A tree in the distance is on fire.

There is a shuffling noise behind me.

I twist around, and a scream falls from my lips as I take in what is coming for me.

In the distance, approaching at full speed through the trees is an army of the dead.

Every single person that has died in Miller Mansion.

Many of them walk backwards in crab positions, others do weird cartwheels and spins and others come forward in pairs, waltzing through the bark.

Every single one of them are dancing in some way, shape or form, but. . . Their eyes are set on me, and only me.

Jonah is at the front of the group, dancing with a young girl with blonde hair.

The one who told me in a dream that you can't kill what's not alive.

Those words are very fitting for my situation right now. There are nearly one hundred dead people coming towards me, and there is nothing I can do to stop them because the ultimate goal would be to kill them and I can't even do that. I swivel quickly on my heel and begin to run in the opposite direction.

There can't be much of the woods left now. Come on, keep going.

The sound of music fills the air- another waltz. A hollow, deathly waltz that one could only imagine the dead can dance to.

Why are they coming for me? What is the point of all of this? Wh-

"You know, I don't exactly see the point in all of this, either."

I stop dead in my tracks.

The sound of running and dancing pauses and I creak my neck backwards to see that they are all frozen- some are stopped mid-way through a dance move- floating in the air.