chapter 2

NOTICE: Due to getting published, chapters 27 onwards of A New Era have been removed from Wattpad. This is because of copyright reasons as well as Amazon guidelines.

"How?" The question was hurled through the large room, echoing off the walls. "How could you let something like this happen?" The short, pompous, red haired man, yelled.

"Sir, it was not foreseen that someone would actually try and attempt to steal the–" a bulky man, dressed in black and blue, with a black helmet under his arm, began.

"Not foreseen?" The red haired man hissed. "Not foreseen?" He repeated again, as though he did not believe what he had heard the first time. "That is your excuse for one of our most precious and influential item being stolen from right under your very nose!"

The bulky man did not reply, his eyes downcast. He knew that no matter what he said, the man before him would not be satisfied unless he could bring the stolen item back, and that was, at the moment, not possible.

"What if the public finds out?" The red haired man yelled his dull brown eyes wide.

"Calm down, Quinton. They won't find out," a calm voice spoke.

The red haired man whirled around to face the man that had addressed him and watched as out of the shadows stepped a tall, lean, grey eyed man. Authority radiated from him and his slicked back black hair made him look like the rich man that he was.

"Nemis," Quinton murmured.

"After all," the man named Nemis, continued, "It won't do the public any good if we scare them with stories of terrorist attacks." He turned to the man in blue. "I thought we had agreed that if we put this item on display for the people you would have it well guarded, commander," he frowned disapprovingly at the man.

"We put up maximum security, sir," the man in blue drew himself up taller. "Yet in the building we had less security options than had we had when it was here."

"Enough excuses!" Quinton bellowed, his face red with anger.

"My dear Quinton," Nemis walked up to him and placed a calming hand on his shoulder. "Do calm down a bit," his hand seemed to have a calming effect upon Quinton who relaxed somewhat before he turned away with a huff and began to pace back and forth.

"Now, commander," Nemis turned back to the man in blue, "I assume you know how the theft occurred?"

The commander looked somewhat embarrassed. "We think the culprit used a camouflage sheet to sneak in undetected, he somehow got through security and switched the–"

"Camouflage sheet?" Nemis raised an eyebrow. "But I thought you had been issued with heat detectors to overcome that problem."

The commander squirmed uncomfortably. "He got through when the guards were changing shifts, at least we think. It's the most likely scenario, sir. When changing they don't usually have the detectors switched on."

"I see," Nemis murmured shooting a look over at Quinton who paced furiously. He turned back to the commander, "You said he exchanged the–"

"Yes sir," the commander cut in. Not seeming to realize that he had just cut off someone in higher authority he continued, "He put in a wooden duplicate."

"A wooden what?" Quinton turned, his face growing purple. "First he robs us and then he mocks us!" He screeched.

Nemis shot him a disproving look. "You said 'he', do you know who the culprit is?" he addressed the commander.

The commander paused, seeming to attempt to choose his words. "A group of Watchers think they may have been after our culprit, just a few hours hence. They were in close pursuit but in the en–"