chapter 3

NOTICE: Due to getting published, chapters 27 onwards of A New Era have been removed from Wattpad. This is because of copyright reasons as well as Amazon guidelines.  

The journey home was far from eventful. Both dragon and boy were silent, each lost in their own thoughts as they flew away from the abandoned section of the quarries and headed westward.

Dominique watched as the landscape slowly turned from a dusty brown to a healthy green. He watched as the lush fields appeared, the streams that wound through them only to disappear among the strong trees that clumped together more and more to form a forest.

The smell of bark hit him as Breeze flew over the forest and Dominique closed his eyes, enjoying the familiar smell. How anyone could prefer to live in the city than out here, he didn't know. Sure, the city was fun in some ways, but out here, out here it was all about freedom.

As Breeze flew on Dominique let his mind wonder. He thought of his father, who used to lead the Resistance, and wondered if he was still alive. Was he working in the quarries, slaving with all the others? His heart squeezed at the thought before anger and hatred towards the council filled it.

The Resistance had never been about violence, they were just a group that had formed to oppose the council's leadership methods, to try and get it across to people that the way the council ruled was not what the dragon and Riders of Legend had fought for. They had fought for peace and yet the council seemed to have taken and abused that context, thinking that they had to enforce peace with violence and fear.

Sure, some people were happy, but it was mostly the rich who lived well and did not see what happened behind the scenes. Since the last Dragon of Legend and rider had died the council had taken it upon themselves to take over command and bring order to a land with no need for it. They became more and more corrupt with each generation, doing anything to ensure law and order.

As dragons began to question rules they were pushed below humans and were now only used as one would any other animal. They were bred like horses, used in races where bets were placed, made to carry loads, do hard work that humans could not, and used for transportation. The only place a dragon and human were equal anymore was in the Quarries, and no one wanted to end up there.

At first the dragons had retaliated, not by war, they did not want to use violence, for they still respected the humans as equals, after all, the last Dragon of Legend had fought with his rider as one. Instead they had just left, hiding in the forests, living as wild dragons. Yet the council set up a hunt for them, and with having invented new weapons, mainly the 'shocker', they brought them in, forcing them to work. And then they discovered how to force a dragon to choose his riders. After that the dragons had no chance but to bend to human will. Only a few lucky ones remained in hiding, staying as far away from the cities as possible. The council called the start of this time 'A New Era,' they called it, 'The Era of Man.'

The reason behind all of this? The council claimed that it was the last Rider of Legend, Akira, who had defeated Haiden and his dragon, Fury, the rider and dragon who had tried to gain control of the entire Lands and almost managed in spreading their evil. They claimed that as it was the rider who had the ultimate say she was the true hero in the matter, her dragon, Redemption, had been little more than a tool she had used. This, they claimed, proved that dragons were below humans.

Yet Dominique believed otherwise. His father had told him the bedtime story every night. The story of how the Dragon of Legend and his rider worked together and defeated Haiden and Fury against all odds, when no one believed that they could, and that they had done it together.