Evidence and Attack: Chapter 11

Chapter 11:

I didn't feel like waking up this morning. Roman and I have been kind of going at it a lot lately. We aren't sure how much time we may have without any interruptions, so we've been compensating for any time that we may not have. The days are counting down, and everyone is pushing themselves harder and harder so that they are ready for when Mr. Vincenth decides to make his arrival. We're at the end of our two week wait. He could show up to attack us at any moment.

Sadly, none of us are any closer to finding any evidence about what happened to Roman's mom. My mom, aunt, Zana, Willow, and I have been pushing ourselves overtime to try to find anything that could help us. We're so desperate to find something that each night after the boys are done with their training, they come and try to help us search through everything we can get our hands on to try to find something. We've come up empty handed so far, but we won't stop.

My mom and aunt were actually friends with Lucinda Vincenth, Roman's mom, and I sometimes find them crying as they think about her. I can tell that they are thinking about all of the laughs and teasing that they used to have with each other, and how they wish she hadn't been killed. They think what all of us tend to let our minds run to when we are searching; they are imagining what she looked like, what Roman has as the final image of his mom. All we know is that she was badly scratched up and left to die in the woods. None of us can tell if she died slowly or quick, but I know that my mom and aunt pray that it was quick so that she didn't have to suffer.

We have to know what happened to her. It is because we don't want to be falsely punished for a crime that none of us committed. But our main reason is that we all loved her. We loved the person that she was. We loved the woman that not only brought my mate into this world, but we loved the woman that would bake us cookies, always remember everyone's birthdays, treated everyone like they were family, and never looked at the negative. It kills us to know that she didn't get to see her family grow up. It kills Roman and me to know that our future children won't know their amazing grandmother.

Pulling myself out of bed, I push myself to get dressed and go searching again. I'm sleepy from the late night that Roman and I had, but I have to get up and look. I need to know what happened to her, and I have to give that closer to everyone who knew her. I only have to remember her bright smile the last time I saw her to get my butt moving faster.

***

My shirt is greatly rumpled, my hair is almost completely loose, and my shoes are lost. Zana, Willow, my mom, my aunt, and I have been searching all day for any shred of evidence. We skipped lunch, mind-linking the boys that we wouldn't be there beforehand, and it is almost time for everyone to get back for dinner. We're running out of time and none of us know what to do if we don't have any evidence to prove that neither the Obsidian pack nor the Onyx pack had anything to do with the death of Roman's mom.

I can feel that tonight is different. Roman can feel that tonight is different. My parents, my brothers, my cousins, my aunt, and my uncle can feel that tonight is different. The packs can feel that tonight is different from the previous nights. Even though we can all feel that something is different, we still can't find anything to help us.

"We can't give up. We have to find something. We'll skip dinner and stay up all night if we have to." My aunt states as my mom continues to search, nodding along to what she says. I look to my cousins and we all nod at Aunt Audra in agreement. We have to find something!