Would Be (Forever)

Ding dong!

The sudden loud bell echo surprised Haru that the spoon in her hand fell onto her lap.

"Aish, really..." Haru hissed in displeasure and bent down to wipe her stained jeans. However, due to the fact that she forgot to simply put away the evil spoon, what she did was actually transforming the stain of chocolate ice cream to a wider ugly dark spot.

Stopping herself halfway from spitting out profanities, Haru stood up from the floor and heaved a defeated sigh. The sound of a cheap romance drama from the speakers in the living room thinned as she dragged her steps heavily to the kitchen.

Clank!

Haru eyed the spoon in the sink with an empty stare and felt another wave of sob washing over her. Then, her ears caught unrelated murmurs from the apartment unit next to hers while her eyes wondered to a stop at the empty ice cream tube in front of the TV. Within seconds, her back had slid down the cabinet and she sat lifelessly on the cold kitchen floor.

Why?

Why do my heart hurts?

Why do everything reminds me of you?

"Haru? Why is the television left switched on-" To Haru's surprise, her roommate of two years appeared at the kitchen doorway with two steaming cups in hand.

"Jaehyun?" Haru croaked weakly and attempted to wipe her tear stained cheeks.

"Is this because of Winwin?" Jaehyun whispered softly and crouched to be on the same eye level. His right arm was raised up before he thought better of himself. Slowly, he brought his hand to a rest on his thigh.

"Listen, I bought your favourite coffee. Just relax in the living room while I clean up a bit." Jaehyun said seriously. Knowing him, Haru nodded obediently and took a cup of hot mocha.

Returning to her previous spot on the sofa, Haru tried her best to ignore the pang of guilt as Jaehyun grabbed the empty ice cream tube and threw it into the dustbin, his face a mask of expressionless.

When Jaehyun cleared his throat and sat on his usual spot at the same sofa later, Haru stopped fiddling with her fingers and held herself from scooting away.

A moment of uncomfortable silence passed before Jaehyun let out a sigh and looked away from his cup of latte. "Haru, would you like me to speak to Winwin myself?" He asked.
Immediately, Haru's head snapped up. "What? No, I can handle this!" She argued despite being holed up in home for two whole days.

Jaehyun shook his head and frowned. "And let you cry your heart out the whole week? No thanks, I prefer it when you guys are all mushy, lovey dovey in public."

"I just don't want both of you to get into another fight because of me," Haru whispered weakly.

When Jaehyun tried to reason his cause, Haru shook her head and shut her eyes stubbornly. "I'm friend with you first before I dated him, plus he is your best friend long before he was my boyfriend." She added.

Jaehyun huffed in disbelief and messed his bangs. "I can't believe you. It's still my fault though that he was jealous of us spending too much time together. To think that you'ld go on a date if not because I asked you to help in that silly mismanaged tea party still bugs me to this very day."

Haru smiled bitterly and shoved Jaehyun 's arm. "Can you stop talking about him? I might get nightmares soon." She attempted to joke but failed miserably.

Smoothly, Jaehyun turned his infamous glare to a look of sympathy. "I understand. You know that I'm always ready to help if you ask, right?" He asked in defeat.