03: the pep rally

Devante's point of view.

Glaring at Savannah with a 'what the fuck' look, she had to open her big ass mouth, causing my relationship with Aiesha to take another step backward.

I was going to tell her about us sooner or later, but not right now when I already forgot about her birthday and her party.

"Aiesha wait up," I ran to catch up with her as she tried to get away from the problem I ultimately caused.

Aiesha," I tried again, pulling her arm, and stopping us in the middle of the McDonalds' parking lot.

Catching a break, I sat my hands on my knees, feeling the wind blowing through my shirt.

Shit. I forgot this girl ran track in middle school.

"Why would you do this to me?" She turned around with tears in her eyes.

Feeling and hearing the hurt in her voice, I messed up badly this time.

"I'm sorry," I tried wiping the wetness from her cheeks, but Aiesha only pushing my hands away with hers.

"I didn't know I was going to fall in love with her," I said truthfully to her. "We began talking and instantly clicked."

"If you want, we can still go out to celebrate your birthday," I tried to steer the conversation away from the situation at hand.

"You just don't get it," she gritted her teeth. "You know how she treated me, but you still gave her a chance. All I ask for you to do is to be real with me, but you couldn't even do that!"

"I don't care about the birthday party anymore, I'm just more hurt by your betrayal than anything else," she screamed at me as I looked down at the pavement.

"What can I do to make it up to you?" I asked as we stood in silence.

Shaking her head with a look of betrayal on her face, Aiesha walked away from me without saying another word.

Sagging my shoulders at the sight of her leaving and going to her car, I didn't like how we left things off with one another.

Feeling a presence beside me, I looked down to see the cause of my problems.

"That's my sister for you. She always wants to be dramatic and cause a scene," Savannah looked up at me and then sighed. "You know she's going to forgive you by tomorrow."

Looking up at the night sky, I knew my best friend like I knew the starting lineup for the Cleveland Cavaliers. "She won't forgive me for doing this to her."

"You might be right, but you know what? You can't worry about her. All you need to worry about is this pep rally Friday and the game afterward," Savannah wrapped her arms around my neck, placing light kisses on my lips.

"Maybe I should call her or go to her house?" I suggested as I inhaled her sweet perfume.

She threw her head back at my words. "For what? If she cared about you, she would see that this relationship between the both of us is harmless. She would still be here if she cared about you."

"Unlike her, I care about you."

Thinking over her words, maybe she was right.

If Aiesha cared about our friendship, she wouldn't act like a spoiled brat and accept my girlfriend no matter what.

Kissing Savannah on the lips for a final time, I realized that the person in front of me was the only who cared.

-----