06: a date?

Aiesha's point of view.

"The grass ain't greener on the other side," I hummed a long to the Chris Brown song that was now playing from the Apple Music on my phone.

It was one of my favorite songs of his and I had to play it at least twenty times a day before I felt complete.

Laying stupidly on my twin size bed with nothing else to do, it was going on three o'clock in the afternoon, and I could picture everyone from school trying to get out of their classrooms and onto the buses or their cars.

Tilting my lips upward, it was a great feeling to not have to do anything, but think.

As the rain splattered onto my window sill and thunder clapping every now and then, I closed my eyes at the sound of  a thunderstorm.

It was day four of my five day suspension and it was honestly going great.

Pulling out a handful of barbecue chips from the family size bag I got from the kitchen, I stuffed them into my mouth, enjoying the sweet, yet salty taste on my tongue.

Waking up when I wanted to and catching up on daytime game shows had me envying old ladies who was in retirement and reminding my mother playfully that I wanted to drop out of school.

This was the life I wanted to live, but it was soon interrupted with the buzzing of my phone.

Unknown: How's suspension treating you?

Me: New phone. Who dis?

Unknown: Really Aiesha? It's Michael from School.

Squinting my eyes at the brightly lit screen, how did this nigga get my number in the first place.

Scratching my head while making sure my scarf was still in place, I put his name in my phone and replied.

Me: How did you get my number?

Michael: I asked a couple people around for it 😅.

Me: Sounds fishy to me...my life is pretty good. Now what do you want?

He replied instantly.

Michael: Damn, no love for the nigga?

Me: ...

Michael: I see how it is... I just wanted to know if you wanted to go to the fair with me tonight?

Me: mhm...taking a nap. I'll text you later if I can fit it into my schedules

Michael: Alright

______

After finally agreeing to go to the county fair with Michael at seven, I was low key feeling nervous as time crept by and I only had a few minutes to get ready.

Not really having nothing to do, but stalk my celebrity crushes on Instagram, what's going to the fair with a classmate hurt?

Untying the night scarf that I had around my head to hold the wrap I was definitely rocking, I combed my hair down, laying the edges with a little bit of gel and a unused toothbrush from under the sink.

Before I could even finish rinsing my mouth out with mouthwash, the doorbell rang, signaling that my date for the night has finally arrived.

Grabbing my belongings from my room and cutting everything off behind me, I quickly walked downstairs to open the door.

Casually taking in his appearance as he stepped into the foyer of my home,I bit my lips as he wore everything black, causing the once bland color to now be one of my favorite colors.

"You look beautiful," Michael complimented as it was now his turn to rake his eyes over my style for the evening.

"This old thing," I joked at my appearance as he laughed

"This old thing," I joked at my appearance as he laughed. "I just threw it on at the last minute, but thank you," I lied, knowing full well it took me two hours with the help of my mom just to find this dress in my closet. But of course, what he doesn't know want hurt him. Right?

"These are for you," he handed me a banquet of roses that I didn't even know he had before.

"I'm aller-" I wanted to say, but was immediately interrupted by my constant sneezing.

"I know you guys weren't going to leave without me talking to the nappy headed boy that's taking my daughter out for the evening," the older version of me came walking into the living with an attitude lingering behind.

"I'm Michael," the boy in front of me held out his hand for her to shake, seeming unfazed by my mother's choice of words to describe him. I mean shit, his hair was silkier than mine and I just got a blow out two days ago.

"Mhm," she shook it with a squint to her eyes. "What's your intentions with my daughter?"

"Ma is not a date," I sneezed as I excused myself to go to the kitchen, too irritated to stay and deal with the side effects that the forbidden flowers caused.

Disappointingly throwing the roses away, I quickly washed my hands, making sure the residue from the stems weren't under my fingertips.

"I didn't know you were allergic to roses," Michael frowned as I walked back into the hostile environment that my mother created. "I'll know next time to get lilies or daises." 

"There might not be a next time," my mother folder her arms across her chess, causing my eyes to roll and my nerves to be shot.

"Are you ready?"I smiled at the boy that towered the both of us easily, ignoring the attitude she giving.

"As I'll every be," he awkwardly said as my mother stared him down with her dark, brown eyes.

"Be home by ten thirty," she yelled as we made it to his car and him showing off his chivalry skills, causing the blush to form on cheeks like a school girl.

"I'm glad you decided to let me take you out," he handed me the aux cord with a smile. "You can choose the songs that we can vibe to while we're on our way there."

"I needed to get out of the house for a little while," I said truthfully as I clicked my seatbelt. "You sure you want me to be in charge of the music you listen to?" I asked, not too sure that he will like my style of music. 

"I trust you."

Scrolling through my playlist as we pulled off from my driveway, I was debating on whether I should play Chris Brown, but decided against it when I remembered the song I downloaded just a couple of hours ago.

It was on my Twitter feed earlier and I couldn't help, but buy it when I heard the chorus. 

When Ar'mon and Tre voice came on and filled the silence of the car, I looked over at Michael to see his reaction. Bobbing his head up and down while using his fingers to drum the steering wheel, I grinned at my choice.

As we drove in a comfortable silence, I looked up at the night sky, searching for the moon, remembering the time I was little, wondering why it was following our car and no one else.

It was there and I sighed.

"You good?" Michael noticed my silence.

"Yeah," I looked over at him and gave a reassuring smile. "You're just a breath of fresh air that I needed."

____________

Will update this book every Sunday until it is finished. :) :) :)