Chapter 3

Chapter 3

***Alex’s View***

            We ran for what seemed like hours. In every alleyway, in every street, and in every building, Mrs. Green and the golem appeared from rifts in space. Not even the pet store was safe! Thankfully, all the roads were deserted (everyone was at the party), so no one was around to see us chased by a clay monster and a snake-eyed old lady. THAT would have been hard to explain. Finally, we seemed to lose them.

            “This seems like a good place to hide.” Terra stated. It was a dumpster. Unfortunately, I was too tired to protest, so I went with it.

            “Why can’t you do that thing that you did to Mrs. Green’s walking stick to the golem?” I asked

            “I can’t, because I can’t conger fire hot enough to melt rock, yet.”

            “Oh.” We sat there in silence for a few minutes, and then I asked her when she gained her powers.

            “It’s complicated. I think the golem and collector are gone, so we should be safe.”

            We lifted the lid of the dumpster, and got out. Standing there waiting for us, was Mrs. Green. Before Terra could conjure more fire or something, the golem grabbed her. “You didn’t think you could get away with my investment, did you young lady. Let’s see how much profit we can make out of capturing you my dear. I’m sure that the Frostling family would love to get a hold of you. Or maybe the Outsiders…” Terra’s eyes grew fearful, and she began squirming, trying to escape from her captor. Mrs. Green then turned to me. “As for you, young man, you were very rude to run away from little old me. Now I’m going to have to cash my investment in.”

            “AHHHHHH!” I yelled as she stabbed her nails into the side of my head. When she took her hand away from my head, they were dripping with clear liquid. With her other hand, Mrs. Green got out a vial filled with a yellowish liquid, to which she added the clear one. The solution changed. The yellow substance turned clear, and a solid, dark gray line appeared in the mixture.

A look of disappointment crossed Mrs. Green’s face. “But I was so sure tha-” Terra elbowed the golem, which began to break apart. Terra summoned a gust of wind, slamming Mrs. Green into the wall. Mrs. Green looked dumbfounded at Terra. “B-b-b-b-but how!?”

“Never mess with an elementalist.” Terra simply stated. The wall that Mrs. Green was suspended on began to liquefy and adsorb her. “Let’s go, we’re done here.” Terra began calmly walking away, so I fallowed.

            “So what’s a Collector?” I asked.

            “They are… they are just genetically engineered bag ladies who are employed to find rare or unusual things.”

            “Then why was one ‘investing’ in me?”

            Terra stopped. She looked directly at me, and said “I don’t know…” we stood there a while as Terra contemplated something. “Maybe-” A howl interrupted her. “A Wanderer?” she stated, sounding faintly impressed. A wolf-like being appeared on the road ahead of us.