They Ain't Never Tasted Terran Before

The central control dash traced the north end of the navigation chamber. A membranous window, LT Reesa called the observation shield, stretched above the lighted panels. A single chair positioned before the dash granted a pilot total control of the manta. The lieutenant-technician assumed the navigator's seat while captain Vortrand corralled Lily to an alcove carved from the chamber's East end.

A table surrounded by four chairs occupied most of the nook. What looked like a library circulation cabinet blocked out the alcove's rear. Vortrand plunked Lily into one of the chairs. She crossed her legs on the cushioned seat and the captain situated himself on the table's edge. The storage globe clipped to his hip. He twirled his busted talk-round on a finger.

"Skims are clear." LT Reesa rose from the navigator's seat. "Phozone levels are almost sprint capable. At prolonged sprint we're three turns out from Kaptune."

"What about this?" Captain Vortrand held up his talk-round. The Verakian woman plucked the device from his fingers and popped open a small panel on the band's interior. She peered at the chunky bracelet's guts.

"I don't know that there's any fixing this." She poked at a frayed wire that looped from the opening.

"You have before."

"You fell on it. These knock off 'rounds were crap to start with. There's not even a brand mark on this. A Titian could stomp on a Nevia and the OS wouldn't even hiccup."

The captain snorted and snatched the talk-round from his sister. "I don't have the Pashmi's bank account. It's stall brand tech for us until Luthe decides we could do with better. Now then," he redirected his attention at Lily. "Begin with the fledgling's crash. Tell me everything you recall until you woke up on the manta. Be detailed. Especially about this." He slipped the storage globe from his belt loop and placed it in front of her. Metal clinked on the glossy tabletop.

Lily inhaled, closed her eyes and organized her thoughts. When she opened her eyes, she opened her mouth and narrated her tale. She was as honest and detailed as she could be. Over and over, the captain pressed her about the globe and what it revealed. He made her hold the segmented sphere and stare into it again which triggered no lights or visions. Shrugging, she described again faces and places and feelings that didn't belong to her. Half remembered images floated up from the depths of her consciousness. Vaguely, she interpreted what she remembered.

The fifth time through Lily's schpeal, captain Vortrand said, "Stop."

Lily slumped against her chair back.

"Close your eyes," the captain said and Lily did. "Empty your mind. Shouldn't be difficult for you."

Eyes still shut, Lily extended her hand and extended one finger. LT Reesa's chuckling cut over her brother's annoyed snort. The finger was universal.

"Empty your mind," the captain repeated, so Lily rolled and relaxed her shoulders and tried her best.

Thoughts were roaches. They swarmed in the dark behind her shuttered lids. With one word, she shushed her inner voices. Empty. She repeated it. Empty, empty, empty. The chant rolled into a meaningless drone. Ego dissolved. In the void, thoughts and other things, burbled up from the dark.