I Have The Death Sentence On Twelve Systems

The digital symbols printed on the shuttle pass matched the altered interface on Lily's new Archivist. Dense. She didn't understand it yet, but she didn't have to. When the count down at the bottom left corner crossed a certain threshold, the clear plastic flashed red like a warning light atop a cop car. The angry pass tapped against her starcollide-sheathed thigh. Abandoning her old clothes for her barriersuit, she'd let Burki and Larca wrap up her old outfit with her new ones before the twins ventured back to the fitting room.

Purple tissue wrapped parcels nestled in her Physical Dream bag. Zazee created her a whole new custom made and convertible wardrobe. She glanced at the stairs leading to the second floor and scowled. Doctor Puu had one more peccard then she'd have to be a buzzkill and break up his booty call. The flashing pass had to mean imminent shuttle takeoff and they were going to miss it!

In a flurry of swirling cerulean, doctor Puu clomped downstairs, adjusting his robe over his miss-buttoned vest. Damp patches of fur slicked over his cheeks and the top of his head. ZaZee trailed at his heels. She fastened his crellis pouch to his belt as they descended. His shuttle pass flashed in his hand. Already on her feet, Lily gathered up her Physical Dream bag. She waved her pass at them.

"Are we going to miss the shuttle?"

"If we're swift we will not. I know a short route off Market Street to the docks from here."

"I thought you said side streets were dangerous after dark." He'd told her so on their way to Physical Dream. It took longer to get there because of the crowds clogging the main thoroughfares.

"We won't keep to them long. It's that or the captain's wrath." Doctor Puu beelined for Lily when ZaZee caught his sleeve and pulled him close.

"Don't be a stranger to me, Sy." ZaZee brushed her cheek against his. He closed his eyes and wrapped his arms around her. Lily faced the door and stared at her feet.

"I have your USIT signature," doctor Puu told the Pashmi woman.

"And you, Lily."

At the direct address, Lily angled around. The Pashmi were still in each other's arms. Untangling herself from doctor Puu, ZaZee stepped forwards.

"Anyone Sycose holds in esteem, I too hold in high regard. If you have need of anything I will do my utmost to provide it."

Did doctor Puu think highly of Lily? She wasn't sure that was quite it.

"As soon as I have her set up on USIT I will route you her signature." Doctor Puu started for Lily then hastily spun. "I apologize for my expedient retreat. It is unavoidable, unfortunately."

"Don't miss your shuttle, Sy." ZaZee shooed him. "And don't be so formal."

The unwieldy Physical Dream bag Lily lugged weighed her down. Arms and legs cramped as she struggled to keep up with doctor Puu through Myskuul's shadowed alleys. Darkness made her steps uncertain. Light came only from the cloud veiled moon and Kaptune's veiled rings. Without the doctor's keen night vision she would have been helpless. Even now, she stumbled behind, her clumsy feet catching every uneven plank in the road. Hefting the bag over her shoulder, she clung to the doctor's arm. The shuttle pass glowed in the outer pocket of his silk robe, its warning light consistent as their boarding window dwindled.