Episode 43: Ragtag

[Palace lobby]

Standing by the mosaic of his ancestors, Tetsuya watched the soldiers he had seen earlier in the king's throne room gather around the other knights. Setsuko and Hyosetsu each had around a third. Seven sided with Hideo. While the remaining thirty sided with Eiichi.

The knight glanced down at his shield and sighed. Thus far, he only had one with Rosalba. Three if one counted his brother and sister.

Should've guessed that no one would pick me. Even Serrano chose Setsuko over me.

"Hey, may I join?" a guy called out. Tetsuya glanced up and saw a lanky red-haired young man with the same eyes as Hyosetsu. Except, his eyes had more warmth to them than the knight's.

"You're joining us?" Rosalba said, jumping up and down. She grabbed Tetsuya's arm. "Know what this means?"

"Uh, it means something?" Tetsuya asked, glancing back at the young man. Suddenly he recalled having seen him in the throne room. "Wait, you were the one who accompanied my cousin and the princess when everyone walked in, weren't you?"

"Yeah, that was me!" the young man said, grinning widely. He held out his hand to him. "Nice to meet you! I'm Kohri Kuroyuki no San Peña, younger brother to your fellow knight, Hyosetsu."

Tetsuya took a step back. "Wait, another Seven-Hill wishes to join me? Why?"

Kohri chuckled. "Well, I would've liked to have joined Team Hyo, but he rejected me, so I decided to join you," the heir of Kuroyuki no San said as he rubbed his left ear. "Setsuko, and you are the most likable of the knights anyway. Honestly, that Eiichi scares me, and Hideo is a brat from what I've seen."

The shield knight smiled. "I appreciate it, but why me and not the princess?"

"Because she already has Serrano and thirty-three others. And you got three, so to balance things out, I thought I'll join ya! So, how about it, can I join?"

Tetsuya held out his hand and laughed. "Sure! Can't refuse to have one of the strongest people of my generation on my team! I'm Tetsuya Kuroriku, by the way."

Kohri took his hand. "Nice to meet you, Tetsu! Wait, is it fine to call you that?"

"Sure! My family and friends call me Tetsu all the time anyway," Tetsuya said, letting go of his hand.

"Wait! Can I join you five too!" yelled a reddish-orange-haired young man with freckles. Unlike the others, he had no armor on. Instead, he wore a green hoodie and red sweatpants.

"Uh, sure..." Tetsuya said.

The young man snickered. "Ahh, sorry for not introducing myself. I'm Nicolás Ayala."

"Seems we're gradually growing," Teresa said, grinning widely.

Nicolás smiled too. "Seems like it!"

Rosalba glanced around the lobby. "It doesn't seem like those two have picked a team yet. Where are they anyway?"

"Looking for us?" Roa's voice echoed from behind, making the princess jump.

"Stop doing that!" she yelled, puffing her cheeks.

Roa snickered and leaned in. "Not my fault that you're a big scaredy-cat."

"Roa, be nice," Etsuo said as he walked over. Accompanying him were Reno and a face that they hadn't seen since they dealt with the rebels.

Rosalba gulped as she stared at the red-haired girl who had nearly killed her and Tetsuya a few weeks ago.