1. Blessing and A Curse

My feet dragged against the gravel as I walked underneath the warm sunset. I was tired. Thirsty. Lonely. I wondered what would happen if I stopped walking. Would the man who I was being escorted by beat me with the stick he held in his hand? I shuddered just thinking about it.

I was heading up the path to an unknown place. It would become my new home.I was being brought to Tibet to live, though I have no idea why. I was scared and didn't know what to expect. This place was definitely not another orphanage. It was large and looked like a prison. Is that what they looked like here?

The man leading me was East Asian and looked to be in his late thirties. I don't know if he spoke a word of English. He didn't talk to me. When he picked me up from the airport, all he held was a sign that said, Sienna Rain Fischer. I went with him.

 I just hoped I wasn't being lead to a sweatshop or a sex slave ring here American girls were rare. No, that can't be it, I thought. At least, I hoped not. How fortunate for me that both my parents were gone now. My dad first, he was killed when I was 9, while we were still living in Germany. A robbery gone wrong. After that, my mom took me to live in America. Up until recently, I was living with my mom in Boston. We were happy. A few months ago she got into an accident on her way home from work one night...went over a bridge on the freeway. I tried not to think about it too much. Though I often spent my time daydreaming of us all being together.

My mom, Celine, had warm chocolate skin, long curls and beautiful brown eyes. She was born in the Caribbean, but left while she was still young. She was the polar opposite of my father, Erik, who had ivory skin, light hair and icy blue eyes. He said it was the Swede in him. He was very tall, around 6'4... and also strict, but when he smiled, as only so few people could make him do, my mother being one of them, his whole face lit up. Wie die sonne, My mom would call him. Like the sun. Then, he would laugh and say I was the rain because I use to cry all the time when I was a baby...something I have no recollection of.

In fact my middle name was Rain, but my mother only named me that because I was born in April during a thunderstorm that almost flooded all of Munich. I sighed. I guess in a way I looked more like my dad, than my mom. My hair was closer to his colour, more of a golden brown though. I got my waves from my mother. My eyes were closer to his as well, though mine were blue with gold specks, to his pure ice blue. My skin was a warm light brown. Right in-between them both. My parents met while my mom was working in Germany. She had just started teaching English there. She was 28. He was 27. They didn't date for too long before they got married. I was born in the next year.

I had lost my train of thought when I realized how close I now was to the entrance. The light in the sky had finally gone away. I stopped. Just a few more metres to go. The man stood at the top of the steps waiting, as he had always been far ahead of me. My belongings stood waiting there too, for they had somehow made it here before me.The man eyed me and I began walking. It 's not like I had a choice. I was 14. I had nowhere else to go. No choice but to live with this man - go to this place. I had no other family. It wasn't my fault. It was how my parents chose to live. I had no one else on my file.

It only read, FATHER - DECEASED. MOTHER - DECEASED. Come to think of it, it was always just the three of us. In Germany, I never visited any grandparents, any aunts, uncles or even cousins, like the other kids had. My father was an only child who lost both his parents to cancer. One after the other. My mom was an only child too, was raised by a single mother in Barbados, whom she barely mentioned when I was younger. I didn't learn more about her until after my dad had died. She was gone as well. So that meant straight to the orphanage for me. I hadn't even been there for more than 4 months before they informed me I was being "taken in". They didn't even call it an adoption. I don't even know if that was what it was, because for some reason, I was never introduced to him beforehand...before they told me to pack my things and threw me on a flight.