4. Simple Warning

UNEDITED

After lunch with Barsad, I slept most of the day. I was called out of bed for a 6 PM lesson by Talia. There was no fighting or swords involved, just a good old-fashioned sit down in one of the rooms in the basement.

She just talked about the League. Even gave me a history lesson on past operations that she made clear I wouldn't be a part of anytime soon. Tokyo. Berlin. Johannesburg. She didn't talk about how she flipped me off at lunch and she also didn't mention Bane, no matter how much I pressed her.

"Why do you care so much about him?" She asked me after I had brought him up casually for the billionth time.

"I don't know. I'm just curious," I told her.

"No, that's not it." She paused. I noticed that she took her hair down at night. It made her face look softer, but not by much especially since she spent most of the night side eyeing me. "Well don't be," she continued, "and stop asking me about him. Anything you want to know you can ask him yourself - if you're brave enough." She said with a smirk.

I think those were her least favourite part. She looked like she preferred a weapon in her hand over sitting down and chatting with me. Talia walked me back to my room in silence and I went to bed feeling at a loss. How could I prove that I wasn't just some little girl when I was so horribly pathetic? I knew that the process would have to be slow and gradual. I didn't know how I would prove it to Talia and Henri and Barsad and Bane and to everyone else who doubted me, but I knew I wasn't about to give up anytime soon.

****
I can hear my fathers voice every time my head bobs in and out of the water. "Just like I showed you, Sienna."

My little feet begin searching for the bottom of the pool and when I can't find it, I panic. I begin to furiously kick my feet and flail my arms like a dying animal. One second my head would be beneath the water, and the next second it isn't.

I remember the expression on his face. His dark blond eyebrows furrowing out of confusion...or annoyance. I remember staring up at him with his arms crossed and wondering, why isn't he coming to get me?

It doesn't matter because I am already going under. My head doesn't bob up the next time.

Water begins filling my nostrils where it isn't supposed to be. It burns as it goes inside, causing my mouth to fly open and be filled with even more water. I try to grab on to something, anything, but I only feel water - and water cannot help you up. It just slips through your fingers.

Then, I feel my father's hands around my waist, pulling me up from underneath. Finally breathing in air, I begin coughing violently.

"It's OK Sienna, I'm right here." He is holding me in his arms above the water and I reach for his hands to make sure he is actually there.

"Do you want to try again?", he asks, while still holding on to me.

I look up at him, tears falling down my cheeks. "No," I shake my head.

"Are you sure, you almost had it this time." He pats my golden curls that are now flat and stuck to my neck.

I shake my head again.

"Use your words, Sienna."

"I'm sure." I tell him.

"Alright," he sighs, sounding almost disappointed.

"Is that OK?" I asked.

"Of course it's OK. Let's go back inside." He outstretches his hand, waiting for me to take it.